All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 06:42 

Hey guys, Bad news looks like im out for about 4-6 weeks . I've done some minor damage to my hip . Physiotherapist says i have been over training . Luckly i didn't do anything major or i could have been out for a year . He goes i am allowed to do some light jogging and shooting but nothing at full speed or no quick movments or i could really damage it and be out for a year . This really stuffs up my preparation for the season and i cant do pre season training with my side . What can i do to keep my basketball skills sharp and my body in top shape before the season kicks off.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 09:34 

Sorry to hear that -

I'm no doctor so my suggestion is to ask your Physiotherapist exactly what you can do...maybe he can suggest a workout for you... the last thing you want to do is to hurt yourself further.

Right now you need to focus on healing and NOT basketball.... IF you mess things up further you may never get back to what you want to do.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 11:28 

Listen to Coach Sar son.

Let it heal and you'll bounce back. Consult with the doctor, I would think stationary shooting or form shooting might be OK......but close range with no jumping....just to maintain your shooting form...but..even for this....as Coach Sar stated...check with your doctor.

Also during your recovery stay "mentally" in shape for basketball. Watch hoop on TV, be apart of your team practices by watching and observing. Learn all the plays. Encourage your teammates!!! Get involved with the coaching staff on decision-making. Offer help in any way to your coaches or teammates.

Be patient!!

Out,

Coach A

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 10:13 

You have been given some great advice. I would also encourage you to stay around your teammates as much as possible. Remain apart of the team as much as you are able to by going to practice or by just encouraging during their games on the bench. Continue learning the new plays or drills by talking to your coaches and teammates.
I would also suggest some 2 ball dribbling drills by remaining stationary or some Pistol Pete ball handling drills. Best of luck with your recovery and the remainder of your season.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 19:11 

thanks ... ive been doing plenty of ball handling drills and push ups , sit ups and lots of core work , ive also been attending all training sessions and learning the new plays
thanks

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 19:32 

Did you ask your doctor what you CAN do? Take good care of yourself... and its great that you are going to all the practices... shows the coach you are really interested and you can learn things that they are teaching..... you wont have the timing but you will understand what they are trying to accomplish.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 20:14 

i did he goes i can do light jogging and some shooting so im just doing under the basket stuff for now, i see him again this week so hopefully he can give me the ok for more running and jumping so can do game speed shooting.

this is totally of topic but have you guys seen Clarke from Arkansas , he relases the ball in 0.6 second ... that is quick . What do you reckon is a must for a div 1 guard to have in their game ....

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 21:08 

This is where you start... handling the ball.... I got this for another player in this group..

Good ball handlers are easy to spot. They are at least adequate with both hands. A great dribbler is one who can go full speed up and down the length of the court with either hand and come to a stop under control.

A super dribbler is one who can change direction with the ball, head and shoulder fake and change pace accelerating rapidly by the defender. When I see this happen, I know the kid’s a keeper.

A real test of a ball handler comes when he encounters full court pressure. An average guard turns his back against pressure or goes with the playground “spin move.” A heady guard uses a pull back crossover dribble so as to maintain vision up court thus eliminating the likelihood of a double team or trap. And last of all, a great ball handler can back up with the ball.

He’ll do it to reset the offense, or perhaps to avoid a trap, and this is an indication to me that the young man is a bright player and can handle the ball. A player who can do all of the aforementioned in addition to shoot the ball is really a find.

Tell me what you think they should have-- aside from being 6'4" - quick as a water bug and can shoot the lights out.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 05:37 

coach that is some dam good advice, i definently agree with you that ball handling is a must at the div 1 level and personally i think its more important than jump shooting because if you cant create space to get your shot then whats the use of being a good shooter .
My coach stresses mental toughness and he is right . You need to have the killer instinct of dominating your opponent everytime you touch the ball, you cant let previous plays affect the next play and you cant let the size, the words or the history of your opponent defeat you mentally .

The advice about dribbling you just gave me is exactly what kind of advice ive been asking for , you hit the nail head with that stuff because im after advice that will tell me where i need to be at lets just say for example a good shooter should hit 30 of 40 jumpers . Thats advice which helps a player because they see where they need to be at and how much they need to improve in their game to reach their potential . Please keep them coming , bloody fantastic .

What else do i need to be a good guard in div 1 and how can i go about achieving it . Thanks coach

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 08:02 

I Agree with your coach on this --

My coach stresses mental toughness and he is right . You need to have the killer instinct of dominating your opponent everytime you touch the ball, you cant let previous plays affect the next play and you cant let the size, the words or the history of your opponent defeat you mentally .

I was with several of my X players Friday night and one reminded me of one thing I used to tell them - " When you have them down, keep them down, its like pouring water on a drowning man. "

I'll get back to you on the shooting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next