All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 08:35 

I am a sophomore in high school and am taking Biology this year. In our class we are doing a project called 20 time where we are using the scientific method to conduct an experiment. For my experiment I am working on come up with a play that my JV basketball team I am on can use to break a zone. I am currently in the research phase and I was wondering if you had any advice for me on what are the things that are needed to break a zone or anything else you know about breaking a zone that could give me information on breaking a zone.
From,

Alexis

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 12:21 
Site Admin

Depends on whether it's a full court zone press you are trying to break. Or just half court zone.

There are some universal concepts against zone but some of the details depend on what type of zone you face:
2-3 zone
1-3-1 zone
match up zone
1-2-2 zone
3-2 zone

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 16:00 

To borrow from the late great Coach Sar, the short answer to your 'beating a zone' question is "put it where they ain't." Zones have gaps; you need to find those an exploit them. Zones move with the ball, so there has to be a lot of ball movement to beat a zone.

However, what Jeff mentioned about the myriad of zones is one complication you'd have to deal with, along with all the variables (e.g., individual players abilities both on defense and offense, the experience of the players, etc.) in an experiment like that. There are a lot of moving parts and you're dealing with a dynamic scene which makes conducting a scientific experiment more difficult.

Your call, but I'd be more apt to choose something like, shooting free throws with or without a net and what difference that makes. Easier to conduct, fewer variables, and pretty much guaranteed an A- B+