All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 10:11 

I have been the best player in my team. I workout daily. The problem is, when there is a match, I am not always able to perform well. I play extraordinarily well in some matches and fail to play well in other. My performance is not consistent. Also I get nervous in game easily, at least that's what my team mates say. There are a lot more problems within the team. So "Breakthrough Basketball " all I have to the rescue. Also, while taking a layup, I always place my left foot first and then jump from the right foot. I am very much used to this footwork. I can't jump from left feet. Is this wrong?

Please help me.

P.S My team has no coach. We practice ourselves by following some drills.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 19:43 

arpitkamat005 wrote:
I have been the best player in my team. I workout daily. The problem is, when there is a match, I am not always able to perform well. I play extraordinarily well in some matches and fail to play well in other. My performance is not consistent. Also I get nervous in game easily, at least that's what my team mates say.
This is pretty typical depending how long you've been playing. Everyone I know plays more relaxed when playing against their teammates (people they know) in a less stressful environment (no real score, game clock or coach screaming). Playing more relaxed comes with more playing experience.

Most of the time, the "nervousness" you're feeling comes from fear of making a mistake. It sounds like you don't have a coach yelling at you, which is good. If your teammates aren't hassling you, it is probably something you need to work on in your own mind. All players make mistakes and some games are definitely worse than others, it's how you deal with those thoughts that can make or break you. If you allow negative thoughts to keep swirling in your mind before, during and after games, you'll continue to play with nervousness. If you flush those mistakes (just like you would a toilet), they're gone and you're moving on to the next thing on the court. Missed shot? Flush it and move on. Bad pass? Flush it and move on. The next shot or pass is the most important one, not the one that just happened.

Besides working on calming your head before and during a match, increasing the intensity of your practices can help. In other words, make your practices harder than a real game (3 v 2, no dribbles allowed, a little more contact allowed, etc.). It sounds strange, but having someone put their hand in your face while shooting or having your teammates make a bunch of noise while you're shooting free throws. Creating some stressful scenarios in practice like situational drills. For example, your team is 3 points down, there's 30 seconds on the clock and you have the ball at the other end working against a full court press.

arpitkamat005 wrote:
Also, while taking a layup, I always place my left foot first and then jump from the right foot. I am very much used to this footwork. I can't jump from left feet. Is this wrong?
It's not a life/death deal, but it is fundamentally incorrect. You have to determine how much work you want to put in at this point. I think you can correct it with some practice and shortening up the lay-up process during practice with one or two steps to begin with until you get used to jumping off the left foot (for a right-handed lay-up). You won't get as much power jumping off your right foot (for a right-handed lay-up) and it's easier to have shots blocked. You want to get as high up as you can on a lay-up to ensure a make.