All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 00:15 

Oh, thank you very much coaches. Sadly, I didn't got to do the training system coach Rob mentioned because of some unforeseen circumstances, but I didn't want to sit my ass here wasting time so I did some 2 ball stationary drills every night (after I get home), and few physical exercises (top motion barbell, squats, crunches and planks cos i cant do a PROPER with shoulders not sticking out lol. i also jog combined with some sprints when i have time).

My goal is to join my school's junior high school varsity team, but after watching the players play, I realized that it's still a long run. So, is my workout sufficient in order to achieve my goal? Should I stop doing these exercises? Am I doing it wrong?

Also when I lift, the part of my arm that connects the "upper arm" and the "lower arm" is the one that gets "strained", not my biceps / triceps. Is that normal?

What are some exercises that removes your belly fat and transforms it into muscle? I'm not this slow last year.

It also seems that I still can't shoot threes in a normal court (my school's 3 point line is a little bit nearer to the rim) even though I'm a 5"6 guy. Howww? (i think im not that coordinated tho)

So, that's my questions for today.

Thanks and God Bless.

(that "training buddy" will be never happen lol no one wants to run and get the ball just to pass it to me)

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 17:17 
Site Admin

It's impossible to say if your workout is enough. You are the best judge of that and will just have to work hard and then learn as you go.

It sounds like maybe a tendon in your arm that might be hurting. See if you can talk to a local trainer at your school.

The only way to lose fat is to eat right and exercise. If the calories you burn exceed the calories you intake, you will burn body fat.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 01:14 

How does the calorie thing work? I searched in the web, but I still don't get it. I kinda know how to determine my calorie intake, but how do you determine how much calorie you burn in your workout?

Thanks and God Bless.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 07:53 
Site Admin

This has info on that:
https://www.choosemyplate.gov/physical-activity-calories-burn

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 19:41 

Nooo jogging is indeed the best way to lose fat, just like my dad said (its boring af)
Is it still effective if my jogging has a combination of like 5 seconds sprint every 15 seconds normal jog (estimated)?

What about my acceleration / change of pace? Like I said, my top speed is pretty good, but my acceleration takes a little longer than others. Acceleration is more important than top speed because basketball is a sport where quick bursts occur almost every second and that's where I feel I need to improve at (especially for my crossover its kinda sluggish).

Pardon me if I ask too much. That's because I trust you guys more than the things I see on internet (you guys are legit coaches).

Thanks and God Bless.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 11:57 

Kendrick -

It's cool you're asking all these questions, it sounds like you're serious about getting in shape and making the team. There are no shortcuts my friend, it takes commitment, hard work and consistency.

Regarding losing weight, exercise is important, but what you're eating plays an important part too. I have no clue if you do this or not, but reducing or eliminating sodas, chips, candy bars, etc. will help you immensely. We all know it's better for our bodies to pick up a piece of fruit instead of a bag of chips, water is better than drinking soda, and so on. Doing that on a consistent basis is difficult.

I'm with Jeff when he talked about goals. I find that if I write down my goals and review them once a week or every two weeks, it helps. There's something about writing down your goals that gives them some substance.

Write down why you're doing all of this. A mission statement of sorts. Make it personal.

My goal is to be a starting player on my jr high school varsity team.

Your goals could be as simple as:

Food
1) Reduce my sodas to only twice per week (don't know if you drink that or not, just example)
2) Eat fruit at least three times a week.
3) Ice cream only once a week

Working out:
1) I will work on my cardio at least 3 times a week
2) I will work on my ball handling at least 3 times a week
3) I will work on my shooting at least 2 times per week

Once you get some consistency, you can tweak your goals.

Working out:
1) I will run at least 1 mile 3 times a week.
2) I will do two handed ball dribbling drills for 15 min 3 x per week.
3) I will shoot at least 200 shots 2 x per week.

And so on. Break your goals into doable chunks, even if they seem simple at first. The key here is to get into a habit of eating right, exercising and working on bball. You want consistency over a longer period of time, that's when you'll see results. When you get bummed or have a bad day, look at your mission statement again.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 07:23 

Well, I'm just grabbing this opportunity to ask things that may help me improve. ;))

I started last week (rest on sunday) doing the 2 ball stationary drills. I still kinda don't see the improvement in my ball handling but I'm still gonna do this for like a month or so then I'll see if I improved.

About the physical exercises, well I do 40 crunches and 20 crunch with legs raised up 90 degrees, 10 push ups (i also do it when im bored), 20 squats, the forearm plank and some jogging w/ sprints and change of direction, but I'm not really seeing some results. Is that normal lol (if yes then ill do more. i dont have the time) I rarely drink sodas and eat sweets tho, so I guess I need to cut down the calories I take.

How do you exactly work on your shooting?

How do you "do" planks? Yes I know the form but do I need to do it like after 20 mins? The only thing I do is hold it until I can't take it anymore. Am I doing it right? Also, how do you PROPERLY breathe while doing planks? Probably 50% of the reason why I can't hold it that long because I can't properly breathe lol.

Is it still effective that I jog with sprints + change of direction? Jogging is one of the best ways to remove fat, but I've been wondering if the jog I do is still effective than the normal jog, or the normal jog is better than jog with sprints. What do you guys think?

I'm gonna start doing the plan thing in this upcoming Sunday. I think that thing will drastically improve my work ethic. I didn't really understand it first until Coach Rob elaborated it (ahh i didnt say that Coach Jeff didnt do a good job! he introduced it first ;) )

Thanks and God Bless.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 19:53 

Kendrick wrote:
I started last week (rest on sunday) doing the 2 ball stationary drills. I still kinda don't see the improvement in my ball handling but I'm still gonna do this for like a month or so then I'll see if I improved.
Stationary is okay, but if you can move while doing 2 ball dribbling, that will definitely add a challenge. In your driveway or up/down your street or sidewalk.

Quote:
About the physical exercises, well I do 40 crunches and 20 crunch with legs raised up 90 degrees, 10 push ups (i also do it when im bored), 20 squats, the forearm plank and some jogging w/ sprints and change of direction, but I'm not really seeing some results. Is that normal lol (if yes then ill do more. i dont have the time) I rarely drink sodas and eat sweets tho, so I guess I need to cut down the calories I take.
It takes some time to see results, but if you keep at it, over the longer term (a few months) you'll definitely see results.

Quote:
How do you exactly work on your shooting?
Best answer is: shoot as much as you can. If you can find someone who'll shag balls for you, shooting in a around-the-world type arrangement works well. Pick 5 spots close to the basket in a semi-circle, shoot 10 shots from each spot, end on a make before moving to the next spot. Move further out for the next semi-circle and so on. Always end on a make. When you want to kick it up a notch, end on a swish before moving to the next spot. You could end up shooting 150-200 shots. Using two balls for this drill helps it keep moving.

Quote:
How do you "do" planks? Yes I know the form but do I need to do it like after 20 mins? The only thing I do is hold it until I can't take it anymore. Am I doing it right? Also, how do you PROPERLY breathe while doing planks? Probably 50% of the reason why I can't hold it that long because I can't properly breathe lol.
No real secret on planks, they just take some time before your core is used to them. Just try and breath normally. Need some time doing them, you'll see improvement.

Quote:
Is it still effective that I jog with sprints + change of direction? Jogging is one of the best ways to remove fat, but I've been wondering if the jog I do is still effective than the normal jog, or the normal jog is better than jog with sprints. What do you guys think?
Sounds like a plan to me. I think changing your pace and mixing things up is a good thing when training for basketball.

The key to this whole dealio is to get some consistency going over a period of time. Don't get too caught up in what you did from day to day. You'll have good days and bad days. You just want to keep going on a consistent basis.