All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 05:12 

They say it needs 4 hours of training per day to be a pro, but I have school-works. I can't imagine how those guys study and do their school-works. Like, c'mon. I get home at 6 or 7 pm. How can I train that long?

As for my situation, can I ask you guys for your help? How long should I train per day? What should I do? Jog? Suicides?

(also speaking of suicides how should i do it? like i get tired after 2 1/2 suicides. do i do it 5 per hour? how can i organize that exercise into my workout list? ty)

I train on my school in weekends at 8-10:30 am though, but I guess one 2 1/2 training per week isn't enough.

help pls ty

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 09:22 
Site Admin

How old are you?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 04:30 

13, seventh grade.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 10:37 
Site Admin

Create a list of things you want to improve on. Then write down a plan. For example, if you want to improve finishing, shooting off dribble, PG skills, and conditioning... write down a schedule to work on those things. Maybe 30 minutes each area. If you have 90 minutes a day, then you do chunks 1, 2, and 3 on the first day. On the second day you do chunk 4, 1, and 2. Repeat.

There is not a magic number on how many hours to put in. Set goals on what you want to accomplish. Then write down a plan to accomplish those goals.

If possible, mix your conditioning into your skill work to save time. In our practices, we never condition, yet kids are in great shape because the do so match running and agility work with the ball in their hands. For example, this workout will help get you in shape:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/dribbling-moves-drill-progression1.html

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 06:40 

Are there "rest days"? Do I need to do it everyday?

Like I said, I attend a training camp on Saturdays 8-10:30 am. Do I still need to do this workout after I rest?

What about Sundays? I have the whole day so can I train at morning then at afternoon? Or just once per day?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 07:42 
Site Admin

I do recommend taking one day off a week. Give your mind, muscles, and body time to recover one day a week.

Beyond that use common sense. If you over-training and your muscles never recover, then you're not getting stronger or faster. Just listen to your own body and take some occasional breaks so those muscles can rebuild. For example, if you do 1000 squats in a row... your legs probably 48 to 72 hours to recover. But if you do 30 squats, your legs can probably recover in a few hours so you can do 20-30 squats for several days in a row without over-training.

If your training camp is really hard and you can't shoot properly with good form afterwards, don't shoot afterwards. Take a break. I think you just apply common sense to all your training. There are no strict rules or guidelines like you need to practice 4 hours a day. I know some people that train for 4 hours very inefficiently and some kids get more in 20 minutes of work that others in those 4 hours.

Just train as hard and as smart as you can.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 07:48 
Site Admin

And if you have extra time on Sunday, put in extra work on Sunday... whether it's 2 hours or 8 hours.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 04:29 

About those "chunks", we all know that there's no limit in improving. When can I change these goals? Per month? Per week?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 11:56 

Kendrick -

Good for you on wanting to improve. Being self-motivated at 13 is a good thing, so you're on the right track. If you have the desire to get better and are willing to put in the work, you will see results.

I'd suggest finding a buddy to work out with at least a few times per week, if possible. It holds you accountable and gives you another person to help with the work out (e.g., shooting drills - snagging rebounds and firing them back).

One key is to try and establish some good workout habits. They don't have to be complicated. If you can get to a point where you've developed a habit of working on your basketball skills everyday in some form, you'll be a long way ahead of the others.

You pick a list of drills and skills - check on this site or YouTube (e.g., two ball dribbling, shooting, Mikans) and commit to doing a few drills each day. If you only do 15 min one day, you still worked on basketball. The next day you might be up to 30 min. Once you get in a habit of doing something everyday (take a break when you need one) you can get more detailed about the length and customizing the workouts. Form that habit in your mind of, "I will do something everyday for at least 15-30 minutes on basketball".

The cool part is when you start getting feedback from coaches, other players and parents. They will see your improvement and that feedback will help keep you motivated.

You're on the right track buddy, don't get too caught up in how long each workout is, commit to doing this over the longer term and we'll all be watching you on TV someday.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2016, 06:57 
Site Admin

To answer your question about goals, you should reevaluate your goals each month and/or when you reach those goals. If for example you reach your goals of improve FG% to 60%, then set a new goal. Ideally you have both short term and long term goals. The short term goals keep you motivated so you see success.