All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 May 2016, 09:13 

Season is over, I have about 5 months off-season. I'm trying to make my teams U16A team rather than the b team. We are one of the top teams in the country and we have about 30 trying to make the top 13. Right now I would put my self in the top 15. I'm a point guard 5,7/5,8 about 120lbs 15 this summer. I would be a bit small then most other point guards. I'm an above average shooter but average everywhere else. Could you give me tips on trying to make this team? Thanks

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:33 

Sorry I am late on this reply.

As a smaller point guard, there are things you will need to show them in order to make your team.

1) Defense
You must show the coaches that you are capable of guarding your position. Cut off penetration, don't get beat to the basket, provide good help side defense, and show that you are a good communicator on the defensive side of the floor (talk, talk talk!)

2) Value the basketball
No pointless turnovers. Don't get cute trying to show off ball handling moves and turn the ball over. Instead show that you are reliable. Make good passes. Make the pass that leads to the assist just as easily as you make the assist.

3) Hustle
Show that you are capable of making the hustle plays. Take a charge. Get run over. Get back up. Then get run over again.

Dive on the floor for loose balls. Clean the floor with your jersey. Never be the player standing while everyone else is scrumming for the ball.

Sprint back on defense. Be the first person back every single time when the opponent gets the ball.

4) Be knowledgeable.
Show that you know how to play the game. Pass and cut. Set up your team mates. Set screens. Maintain good spacing on the floor. This demonstrates intelligence on the floor.

5) Be spirited
Be the first to point at a team mate that makes a good play. Give them a high five.
Be the first to pick up a team mate that dives on the floor. Pat him on the back. Say good job.
Be the first to to offer a "pick me up" to a team mate that makes a mistake. (Don't worry, you'll make the next play).

These type of things do stand out to a coach. It will make you noticeable and give you the edge over players who do NOT do these things.

Just my thoughts.

Brian Sass