All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 02:06 

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am hoping to get some advise on an issue I've being having on my team.
First let me say this, I am an average player on my team, not extraordinarily good or bad. Now, I'm a junior at a small high school where I play on the JV basketball team and I've been having an issue with playing time. And this is no small problem either; the last game I played for a total of53 seconds. I believe the reason for my lack of playing time is this. The Varsity and JV coaches both want to develop the younger players more and are therefore playing them over me when I actually may be the better player (our team has 2 sophomores, me, and a bunch of freshmen while the whole program has only a few sophomores and juniors). I understand this to some extent but, seriously? 53 seconds? This may have carried over into practice as well and by that I mean that whenever we run scrimages or drills that require 5 or 10 people and we have 6 or 11 people at practice, more often then not it seems to me that I'm the one sitting out. Here's the thing, me and the coach actually have a really good relationship but he hasn't mentioned to me why I haven't been playing much.

How should I handle this? Should I talk to the JV coach? Should I talk to the Varsity coach? Should I just keep my mouth shut? Thanks to anybody who can give me any advice because I really don't know how to handle this.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 16:17 
Site Admin

Here are some tips that I recommend:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/players/10-basketball-tips-playing-time.html

As the article mentions, I think you should be proactive and talk to the coach. Don't complain at all. Just ask what you can do to improve, get more playing time, and help the team. Ask the coach for advice.

Beyond that, if you really want to play bad enough, you'll have to make it unquestionably obvious that you are ahead of the other players... almost making it impossible not to play you. You can't control what the coaches do... you can only control what you do.

Here's another good article:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/players/get-cut-want-more-playing-time.html

Hope this helps and let us know if you have more questions.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 16:18 

This is a good life lesson. Best advice I can give you is get with your coach that you have the good relationship with, explain that you would like more playing time in practice and the game, then ask what you specifically need to do to achieve that goal.

The reason I say this is a good life lesson is because this will come up again (as it does for all of us in life) at school, a job or in a relationship. How can I specifically improve my grade in this class? What do I specifically need to do to get promoted? A lot of times we sit back and assume what course of action needs to be taken, when I simple question can yield a lot of valuable information.

Sounds like you have a good relationship with this coach. Ask away.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 18:33 

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 13:31 

Don't forget Mother's Day is May 8th!  Its early this year so don't forget MOM!!!  All moms, grandma's and all the special women in your life will appreciate your thoughtfulness on this special day which celebrates WOMEN.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 01:57 

jharp200: You are a rare commodity, a junior on a JV team and you are undoubtedly correct, you are being used a cannon fodder to develop younger players. Son, I agree with you, 53 seconds of playing time is an insult. Coaches Rob and Joe have wonderful advice and intentions, but talking to the JV coach or the varsity coach, in my opinion, would be an effort in futility. I believe, that all you will get is a polite nod and a thank you for your suggestion however, things will not change other than the fact that you may get a few more seconds.
My suggestion, dont talk to your coaches, let your hard work and effort do your talking for you. Be a positive force on the team, support your teammates, be the holler guy, always be positive and work on your game every opportunity you get. Be the guy in practice that is always tough on defense, go after loose balls with a vengeance, congratulate your teammates for great play.be the first player to arrive at practice and the last player to leave. Young man, I have coached this great game at every level for over 40 years and as a coach, I always loved that type of player. Trust me, if you remain a positive force, a tireless worker and a supportive teammate, you will get noticed. and I guarantee, your playing time will go up. Good Luck Coach Mac . .

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 02:21 

Let me preface this with what I have just written, at a very young level of play, had I been asked that question, I would give advice on how to become better and how to get that valuable playing time. However, at the level you are now playing at, if you asked me that question, the answer you would get is....You know what to do, you should not have to ask...Coach Mac