All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2015, 23:08 

Should I walk on to a college or go to junior college for basketball?

I'm not talking about a high major d1 like Florida, duke, ucla and so on so on. I'm more so saying like a siue, utep(they're kinda mid major though), Portland state, etc. Just small d1 schools.

Or should I attend juco so I'll actually get to play d1 one day. I'm unsure if it's true but I read walk ons don't get respect and what not. That they'll never really be the coaches focus.

I truly can play I just never got to due my father being in the military. Moving every 7 months made it difficult to establish anything with a coach. Anyway I play like a Jahii Carson, Jeff Teague so that's why I'm wondering which I should do. Because if I'm good enough shouldn't the D1 coach just put me on the team as a serious competitor for minutes? Instead wasting 2 years at a juco.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 12:44 

I wouldn't worry about Division I.

I would just worry about developing as a player and find the SCHOOL that is best fit for you. You need to think about what your end game is. What do you want to be as a professional? What career do you want to pursue when basketball is done?

There are a lot of VERY strong Division II, Division III, and NAIA programs out there. Many of those colleges are looking for good strong players, and the campus experience can be just as good as at a Division I school.

Additionally, and most importantly, the schools may have good programs that will advance your career better once your playing days are over.

Junior College and walking on are options as well. JC's, you need to be careful and make sure the colleges are accredited and that the credit hours for the courses you take will transfer to a 4 - year university.

But my advice is not to limit yourself. A very limited percentage of players go on to be Division I players. There are many players that are very good that go on to play ball at lower levels. They are doing something that they love. If you find the right coach, and you love playing basketball, D-I or not really should not matter.

How you use the sport to accomplish your end game goals matters a lot more.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: 13 May 2020, 06:09 
Site Admin

The rules can vary quite a bit depending on the division level of the college, the year, and so on. Things change and it's hard to keep up with all the rules. So you should talk with someone experienced with those specific schools. To get a definitive answer it would be best to contact Tyler Junior College and ask them the same questions.