All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 19:23 

Hey, Coach Rob.

Could you break down exactly what a half court or full court press is? I've been in a few but I haven't really understood the concept of a "press".

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2015, 13:55 

The simple answer is you're trying to pressure the ball, hence the word "press". There are all kinds of different presses, but again, the main purpose is to create a turnover and capitalize on that by scoring or gaining possession of the ball.

Full court presses extend the full court. Half court presses have someone picking up the dribbler at half court a just a bit beyond half court.

A man to man press can be used to deny the throw-in, deny the second pass or trap. Zone presses tend to force the dribbler or pass to a certain area and look to trap. Zone presses can also force a bad pass and create turnovers that way.

Pressing is a gamble, so you're taking a risk against a better team that can handle the pressure. It usually works well against a weaker team.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 01:06 

prmadana: Coach Robs answer to your question is right on, I love to press as a coach, in fact, I use various presses at different points in a game to either slow a quick team down or speed a slow team up. I also use presses to cause chaos and panic, forcing coaches to take important timeouts to make corrections and adjustments and that's when the chess game of basketball continues. They take a time out to make an adjustment, I surprise and change the press. If I'm using a full court zone, I may change to a half court man to man or something else. Years ago, I often wondered why coaches resorted to presses only near the end of the game when they were behind and had to catch up, why not use presses throughout the game at various points to get ahead, and stay ahead. Hope this helps, Coach Mac