All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 19:55 

Hi I recently posted the topic "gametime" I was the Junior starter who was struggling mentally and I wanted to say your advice helped tremendously. I finished the season averaging 12ppg. My question here though is about the coming off-season. My varsity coach agreed to work with me all spring seeing as a decided not to run track ( I was slightly above average at best and I feel as if basketball drills contributed to my quickness more than track). The man aspects of my game that are on my list are attacking defenders one-on-one, finishing through contact, ball handling, and developing a consistent mid range pull up jumper. Athletically I want to increase my vertical to help with finishing ( I'm 6'1" and 140lbs if that is relevant). Anyways my question is with these goals in mind what are your thoughts about developing them and are there other aspects I should be developing in order to become the teams main scoring option (as a senior that will be my role next year). Are there any drills or strategies for these skills you could recommend and how much of a difference can spring and summer of work as opposed to just summer make to my game. Any feedback you think at all is appreciated. Thanks guys

-Noah

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 17:58 

Noah -

First of all, congrats on the 12 ppg.-- that is a great average. Sounds like you had a good season and were able to overcome the mental aspect. Good job!

Regarding off season training, if you've made the commitment to go with only basketball, I'd look at some fun leagues in the spring. If you have the ability to play in a 3 v 3 league (or even a low key 5v5) it allows for a lot of ball touches and opportunities to work on your game. Do you have any leagues to participate in during the spring and summer? Something fun that allows you the freedom to work on your game without the intense pressure. Are there any bball camps coming to your town?

I'm more in the camp of using spring as a bit of a winding down time, but continuing to work on your game (as mentioned above), but not at full intensity. The intensity picks up in the summer and really picks up into the fall. You ramp things up as you get closer to the season so you're hitting your peak physically and emotionally when tryouts come next year.

With your workouts, skills and drills, it depends upon how disciplined you are as a person. I've found it helps a lot to have someone hold you accountable to help you reach your goals. Ideally, if you can afford it and can find a good coach, I recommend taking a few lessons over spring and summer. A good coach will give you specific things to work on and hold you accountable.

If you can't go that route, maybe ask your current coach to help give you some ideas or even design a summer workout program. There are all kinds of drills to help with vertical, agility, and shooting. You can always dig around on YT and pick out some drills for vert, agility, ball handling, etc., and create your own workout program.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 12:00 

I appreciate the quick reply

I do go see a trainer I have since I was a freshman so I will do that along with look into a league. Anyways I had one more question specifically regarding pull up mid range jumpers

Ive gotten a few different insights and I was wondering your thoughts. Is it beneficial to learn to jump as high as you can on a pull up pumper or is it better to stay with a height you are more accustomed to. I watch film on some seniors from around the state and I notice it seems they elevate very high for their mid range which allows a smoother and higher elevated pull up. Thoughts?

Thanks again

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 14:53 
Site Admin

Noah, Coach Rob has some great advice.

In addition to that, I recently wrote an article about offseason training. This may help with some ideas:

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/players/unconventional-offseason.html

Also, what would you consider your strengths. If you could pick 2 or 3 things, what would you say you are best at? What would your teammates say you're best at? What would your coaches say you're best at? I think this is a major contributor with what you should focus on. You want to add one or two aspects that complement your game.

For the pull up jump shot, it depends on your game. I knew a guy who could touch his shoulder on the backboard, he shot at the top of his jump because he could jump over people.

I knew a second player who was lightning quick, but at 6 foot with a 28 inch vertical, he wasn't going to rise over people. His goal was to shoot as quickly as possible before the defender could get balanced, close out, and defend the shot. HE shot more like Stephen Curry.