All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 14:45 

Hi, my name is Noah. I am currently in 4 games as a starter on varsity. I am a junior and the only junior that starts and i play SG. I understand that JV and Varsity are two different levels and I also understand that it isn't all about scoring. But on JV I averaged 17 ppg and I was a confident, aggressive, assertive player. Now on varsity I am averaging 4 ppg and it seems like i have great practices where my ball handling, moves, and shot are spot on. When I get in a game it seems like I cannot consistently shoot, I freeze up around defenders when just generally handling the ball, and I don't have the confidence to attempt the off the dribble moves. Yet like I said against pressure in practice I play great and I have my way with defenders. Its not even that I am nervous because aside from the pregame butterflies, I am not exceedingly nervous. I just feel frozen at times like all the training I have done and everything doesn't matter. I miss jump shots and take basic drives to the hole when the defense finally allows it. Please help I don't know what the problem is and I don't know how to solve it. My team is counting on me.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 15:20 

Noah, those are tough issues. Transitioning from one level to a higher level always requires an adjusting period even for those that appear to do it effortlessly. I think what can happen and may be happening with you is that in games you are overthinking things as opposed to playing instinctively. Basketball is fast-paced as you know if you stop to think about what move to make, if you should shoot or not, if you are on the right place on the floor, or worry that you are about to make a mistake, by then it is too late and whatever action you take there is a good chance it won't work. You are not having this problem in practice likely because you are not thinking and pondering about what to do every time you get the ball and instead are playing in a relaxed instinctive way since you know that it is just a practice with less consequences for making a mistake. I would encourage you try (not easy I know) to transfer that instinctive and relaxed feel you have in practice to a game. In other words, "let the game come to you." Using deep breathing techniques to stay calm and visualization of being successful on the court before the game starts or while you are on the bench waiting to go in should help. Lastly, be patient. Your play will improve but you will need to go through that adjustment period. Good luck!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 00:10 

Here's the good news, this happens all the time to good players. And? More than once in their sports careers. Coach O has some good advice.

I'm going out on a limb here, but you mention you're a "junior" and " the only one that starts on varsity". The more you get away from the "I'm a junior" mentality, the more you'll start playing like you know how to play. People throw around the "he's only a freshman, sophomore, junior" thing all the time, but the good players don't pay attention to that. You made varsity because the coaches know you can play. They couldn't care less what grade you're in other than you'll probably be around next year.

Google "how to get out of a sports slump" and dig around. I'll bet you'll find a few things you can use that might help your current situation.

Best of luck and check back in.