All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 22:49 

Hi, today, I had my first game and I played horrible. I got on the floor and couldn't get the plays right, I lost the ball on offence and couldn't play defense. It was like my whole body shut down. I ended up not playing at all the second half. Whats wrong with me? I know I was rushing myself, but Im not sure on how I can fix this. I really want to play better in games. During practice or when I play for fun, I'm usually pretty good. Other people keep telling me I could play varsity, but when I start playing a real game, I freeze. I'm a 5'11 guard. Do you have any advice that can help me? Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2014, 13:27 

Relax a little bit, don't try to do everything yourself! Get the ball to the open man, make the EASY PASS. As for shooting, let the shots come to you, don't force them.

As for defense - learn the coaches system and don't over extend your self to the point you are making a lot of mistakes.

Pay attention in practice and don't be afraid to ask your coach how you can improve.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2014, 18:38 

Thanks! I was also wondering if you had some tips on how I can gain more confidence and stop being so nervous. It wasy first college game and I broke down. I can usually dribble under pressure but when it comes to games I cant. Thank you

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2014, 05:59 

If you weren't a little nervous I would think you didn't care.. BUT Just play within yourself.... Remember there are other guys on the floor, make sure you use them.

Play as much as you can... park ball or whatever, play vs better competition, that will force you to play and work harder at your game.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 08:29 

"Oh, everyone makes mistakes. Oh, yes they do. Your sister and your brother and your dad and mother too. Big people, small people, matter of fact, all people! Everyone makes mistakes, so why can't you?"

-- Big Bird

Heck, even I made a few LOL