All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 00:24 

Hi...

I have a couple of questions which I would be grateful to have answered:
1) The rim I play on is higher than 10 feet ( 4-5 inches higher ).... As it is the only one available, so do you think I would get better at shooting under such circumstances...

2) I shoot better if I listen to music during practice... Is it a bad habit ( Because there is no music in the game ) ???

Regards...!

PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 07:39 

bkhan9448 wrote:
1) The rim I play on is higher than 10 feet ( 4-5 inches higher ).... As it is the only one available, so do you think I would get better at shooting under such circumstances...

As for the first part... I'm not sure about that one.... when I think about little kids shooting at 10 foot baskets, I do know that they will never develop good form until they get older and bigger... they aren't strong enough. I cant remember the name of the show where players were shooting at various heights and were still able to shoot at regrulation heights. Somewhere along the line you are going to have to shoot at regular baskets if you are going to improve. JMO

bkhan9448 wrote:
2) I shoot better if I listen to music during practice... Is it a bad habit ( Because there is no music in the game ) ???

As for the music part... that shouldn't effect your game at all.... thinking about all the high school games I coached and have watched... they are always playing music before the game.so that is one I wouldn't worry about.

PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 11:42 

1) Like I said, it is the only one available... So, what do you suggest should be the best strategy?? Should I cease shooting on this rim :( ??

2) It takes a lot off my mind... Thanks!!

PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 18:09 

If it were me, I wouldn't shoot at that basket, I would spend more time working on FORM... and go the one basket a couple times a week with the regulation one.

Glad I I could be of help, enjoy the music and have fun.

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 08:53 

I'm sure this is just a fluke.............but.........

When I was young, my dad built a hoop in our frontyard. He is a drafter in the steel industry, so he went a bit nuts on the building and the pole is solid steel, cemented a good 5 feet into the ground. We always joke that if a nuclear bomb ever hits, that pole will be the only thing left standing. Anyway, after all was said and done, the rim ended up being about 10.5 feet high. Combine that with the fact that our driveway was slanted up towards our house and you've got multiple shooting heights depending on where you're standing.

I spent countless hours out there working on my game and I ended up being a pretty deadly shooter for my high school and was on my way to at least a D3 college with a basketball offer before a knee injury derailed that. I always wondered in the back of my mind if the varied heights that I was shooting at had anything to do with my accuracy and ability to shoot well from different angles and use the backboard from almost any angle. Or if the fact that I worked so hard was the main point and the heights were just a random factor that truly meant nothing.

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 18:41 

That is really funny and obviously it didn't hurt your shot.

I had several guys that played for me that had the worse form / shot in the world but they sure could fill it up.... side spin... sling shot etc...... ask me IF I tried to change their shot? HECK NO.

Sorry that you got that injury, who knows where you would have ended up.