All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 08:59 

Hello sir, my name is Ruth and I'm from Alaska. Long way from where you are actually! I'm currently attending West Anchorage High School and I'm a junior. I've been playing basketball for about two years now and I've caught up very quickly with putting my goals out there and trying to achieve them. I started out on C team (beginners in high school) freshmen year, then JV sophomore year and now as a junior I've made the varsity team. I have the confidence in wanting to thrive to become better physically but mentally my mind hasn't been there. I put the work in to be a better player but my mentality is holding me back. I would like to ask you for advice on what I can do to be better sir. I've searched and searched the internet for answers but it doesn't always work or go the way I want it to on the court. I'm hungry to be that basketball player I want to be, I want to get a college offer, I'm thriving for success. Any advice would help me. I've gotten this far and I'm not giving up yet.

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 10:39 

ruth_rivera15 wrote:
Hello sir, my name is Ruth and I'm from Alaska. Long way from where you are actually!
First off, I'm jealous that you get to live in such a beautiful state. I have a good friend who lives in Anchorage and she loves living there.

Quote:
I'm currently attending West Anchorage High School and I'm a junior. I've been playing basketball for about two years now and I've caught up very quickly with putting my goals out there and trying to achieve them. I started out on C team (beginners in high school) freshmen year, then JV sophomore year and now as a junior I've made the varsity team.
That is quite an accomplishment, I see a good trend happening here.

Quote:
I have the confidence in wanting to thrive to become better physically but mentally my mind hasn't been there. I put the work in to be a better player but my mentality is holding me back. I would like to ask you for advice on what I can do to be better sir. I've searched and searched the internet for answers but it doesn't always work or go the way I want it to on the court. I'm hungry to be that basketball player I want to be, I want to get a college offer, I'm thriving for success. Any advice would help me. I've gotten this far and I'm not giving up yet.
It would help to know what it is specifically that you're struggling with mentally. It sounds like you have the desire and work ethic. Are you getting bummed out when things don't go your way on the court? Making too many mistakes? Mental toughness in a game?

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 16:08 

Coach Rob wrote:
It would help to know what it is specifically that you're struggling with mentally. It sounds like you have the desire and work ethic. Are you getting bummed out when things don't go your way on the court? Making too many mistakes? Mental toughness in a game

I agree with Rob, what are you worrying about? Making a mistake? Thats what sports are all about. Have some patience with yourself... seems like you have been doing a great job and coming along well.

Make a list of the things that you feel you need to work on and then get after it. Make an appointment with your coach and ask him/her what they feel you need to do to become a better player. But whatever you do, don't lose any sleep over this. Just go play, have some fun and work on your game.