All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 03:28 

I have problems playing games with other people. Just today, I had a game with these guys that was from another place. My teammates (who are also my classmates and friends) were looking for a quick 5-on-5 so when they asked us to play them, we did. Since my friends were used to games with something at stake (whether it be money or food/drinks) they decided to put a bit of money on the line.

When I heard that there was money on the line, I suddenly felt nervous and uneasy. I've been with games that had something on the line with friends (which we won) but this time, I felt weird and lost. I'm very confident with my skills to block, rebound and shoot but at this one it felt strange.

This wasn't the first time. When I was in a training center, I would also choke on the mini-tournaments they'd put out before ending sessions and I never got the same stats that I get when I'm just playing with friends even though I got the same exact openings and had the physical ability to actually go and do my thing.

I'm 14, 5'5 and I play center (it's weird but I'm tall compared to others in my age here) so I have time to really create some sort of strategy offensively and defensively since the ball doesn't usually come to me quickly in a play. I intend to go and try out for the school basketball team and I thought that this was a problem that I need to work on.

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 06:42 

"As soon as you stop worrying about whether you win or lose and just focus on improving yourself that's when you start to love the game more. Everyone makes mistakes, its just part of the game. Here is a quote from MJ

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

As I was reading your post, I was thinking that you were an adult.... heck, you're 14 years old, you should be playing the game for FUN! Don't put so much pressure on yourself... there are 4 other guys on the court, play as a team, play to your strengths and continue to work on your game,. You are worrying way to much for a 14 year old.

Keep working on the fundamentals of the game, go to the camps at your school and maybe a couple somewhere else it you can. Go out and play as much as you can, and have some FUN doing it. Remember, its still a GAME!

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 06:47 

Thanks a lot for the tip coach! That's something that I'll keep in mind next time. Looking back to that game earlier today, I guess everyone was just so tense and really strange that it was hard for me to have fun. I think I'll pull it off the next time around now that I have a positive though in the back of my head. :D

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 06:57 

Great idea.... have fun and stay positive. As a coach I tried to make my comments in a positive manner.... it takes the pressure off the players.

Will you make mistakes? Of course, I made my share as a coach too.... but we certainly weren't trying to make them. Just play your game, and again, have FUN.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.