All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 10:38 

Hey coaches, I just recently finished up my basketball season with a travel team. If you remember from my last few posts, I'm an undersized Power Forward. But what I'm seriously considering doing is changing my position from forward to Point Guard. I figure considering I'm 5'8 and my family isn't very tall, I won't grow to be in the upper 6 feet, which is a major problem because I'd like to make it into college playing basketball, and there are many point guards that're 5'10, 5'11, 6'0. So what my question is, how should I make this transition? I can already handle the ball pretty well, I know I'm quick enough to play point (.05 sec off the 100m dash record), and I know I already have a strength advantage over other point guards. But what types of things should I be working at over this Summer to help me? And, how do I tell my coach that I want to make a positional change? I'm going into 9th grade (JV) basketball next year (No Freshman team, I go to a small school haha), and I feel like this change could help me a lot. Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 17:45 

Kenny -

This is a tough one, going in as a freshman and telling the head coach what position you want to play. You might sit down and talk with him and ask him where he thinks you fit in with this team.

You need to be able to handle the ball with both hands without turning it over. You have to able to distribute the ball and get the offense running. See the floor, get the ball to the open man, know who has the hot hand and get him the ball. Be able to penetrate and dump the ball off or kick it out to a wing... a pull up jumper, take the ball to the basket and score or get fouled OR both. Have ice water in your veins from the free throw line etc.

Just to name a few. Tough to be a leader as a freshman but that's typically what a point guard does. Be able to help other players be in the right position.. Be a coach on the floor...... doing all that while the other players don't get mad at you for doing that.

Tough gig huh! Good luck! :-)

PostPosted: 18 May 2014, 09:50 

Hey Coach Sar, sorry about the late reply, my computer had a virus and I just got it fixed. But anyways thanks for the advice, it'll be tough to do but I'm ready for it!

PostPosted: 18 May 2014, 17:46 

No problem Kenny.... sorry about the virus problem.

No doubt about all that being tough, but the more you play the better you will become. Hang in there and do the best you can be.