All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 21:18 

Hey Coaches! Me again, so this time I'm kinda curious what your opinion is on Flopping in basketball. Personally, I've always seen it as a cowards move, but I definitely see how it could help a team. And honestly, I'm all about doing what's best for the team, but I don't want to be known as a flopper. So what's your opinion on flopping? Is it something you'd want your players to do, if it benifited the team?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 07:37 

All I can tell you is that we taught and encourage taking charges.... our rule was 'THE PAINT IS OURS" Teams knew if they drove the lane, we would be there. I called those game changers - along with loose balls... people call them 50-50... I wanted 80-20, guess I am greedy LOL

Taking charges is part of the game... I know there are some kids who "flop" before contact... I think thats all about timing and not wanting to get hit to hard.

Let me ask you this Kenny, IF you were the coach, would you want your players to step aside and let the offensive player have a clear path to the lane? IF so, I would drive the lane on you all night long. One more question, why do you see it as a cowards move?

I have a coaching friend who had a player that would never take a charge... he told hjs coach that "its not in my job description."

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 09:01 

First let me say this, I consider taking a charge to be a super brave thing to do on a players part, and I completely respect people that take charges because it eventually takes a toll on your body. But what I'm talking about is that some people will exaggerate contact in hopes of getting a foul call on the opponent, even when it wasn't a foul. Which in my book is basically deceiving the refs. My let me make it clear, that taking legit charges are completely OK IMO. It's just when players exaggerate contact enough to get foul call that wouldn't otherwise be there is the issue.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 09:28 

Ok, I understand. There are times when refs should make a call, and they dont, correct? Either way, it has to be a charge or a block. NO CALL. So it that is happening, the defender has to do something to get the refs attention... like make a noise... OHHHH.....

You are right, it takes a lot of courage to stand in there and get run over. We tried to teach our kids how to take a charge the right way... without getting hurt. Maybe the small half circle? I hate it when guys step in at the last second.... and that is the hardest one for the refs to call.

BTW ... Have you ever seen a BLARGE?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 11:10 

A blarge? Never even heard of it lol. What is it?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 11:30 

When one ref calls a Block and the other ref cals a charge.. The outside ref overstepped his boundries... that is the call for the guy underneath.

I coached for many years and have seen a lot of games... only once I have I seen this called.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 12:03 

I've never even realized that could happen haha

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 12:14 

If a player is "flopping" constantly and not getting the call, that just leaves me with a player on the floor while the game is going on. No bueno. If a player does a bit of acting and gets a call once in a while, I'm ok with that. Most seasoned refs are savvy enough to see it though and most experienced coaches don't want floppers on the floor. We teach our kids to "do something real not something that just looks good".

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 18:06 

There were 2 things we did very well........ and we were known for them.

1- When you drive the lane, use a pull up jumper, they WILL be there to take charges... we took 5 in one game.

2- Don't get hehind them early in the game or you will be playing a lot of defense... we controlled the tempo as well as anyone ddid.