All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 15:18 

I'm a 17 year old 5'8 163 lb senior guard in high school. Well I play in the post even though when I go to college next year I will have to play guard because I'm too short to play anything else. I'm trying to get recruited to play in college but my coaches haven't given me any chances to show my skill at the guard position. Also, i'm not a starter although I know without a doubt that I am the best player on the team. How do I get more minutes and convince my coaches to play me where I am most comfortable? As captain my teammates look to me for leadership. Isaiah a junior is our starting guard. Throughout practice if I make a pass that results in a dead ball (ie: Pass to the post that doesn't result in a bucket or a turnover) he gets all upset and yells at me. Every day i grow closer to punching him out to get him to shut up, my coaches are even upset by his blatant display of disrespect because its not his job to tell me what to do its mine. How do I display my dominance in order to keep him in his place, because frankly it's pissing me off.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2013, 16:23 

I find this hard that the Head Coach hasn't put this kid in his place. Sit down with the head coach and ask him how he wants you to handle this. I would hate to tell you something that would go against what your coach wants.I gurantee you that if this was me, we wouldn't be having this conversation.... I would have handled it already;

Kepp a cool head ( it might be hard ( because if your teammates are looking up to you, you don't want to show them that you cant handle some adversity. You have to give them a good example here. Every time you get the chance, just outplay him.

Take a deep breath and walk away from him, relax and play your game. I hope this helps because whatever you do in practice you will do in games and the last thing you want would be to lose it in a game. IF a college coach saw that, you can kiss playing at that level goodbye.

Good luck.