All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2013, 21:35 

Hi, My name is Josh I'm a 5'9" guard going to be a freshman. I'm trying out for my junior varsity team in the winter. I need to get better. I started playing basketball in 4th grade but didn't start getting decent until 7th grade. Now basketball is my life and I play all the time. I've started ever since 7th grade but I don't do a well as i want to. In 7th grade I had my best year but last year i did terrible. Im decent on offense but not as good as i want to be and im not very good on defense. Last night in a scrimmage i had 14 points 5 rebounds and 1 block so it was a good night but im not consistent i cann do amazing at practice but blow it in the game and i dont even get nervous in games. Id like to start on jv this year but i would like to have consistent maybe better nights than what i did last night. please help me.... i want to be a flashy player but an amazing player at the same time im decent at all offensesive aspects but not good enough i want to be great and consistent please help. i didnt play much on either aau team i played for and got no respect how do i become great and be the player everyone woahs at and wants to be. please HELPPPPPPPPP.....

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 10:51 

joshdavid2513 wrote:
i want to be a flashy player but an amazing player at the same time im decent at all offensesive aspects but not good enough i want to be great and consistent please help. i didnt play much on either aau team i played for and got no respect how do i become great and be the player everyone woahs at and wants to be. please HELPPPPPPPPP.....

Josh, I might be wrong BUT..... I see the above paragraph as being a big part of your problem. As a Varsity coach I can tell you straight out that I could care less if you were flashy or not..... all I want to know is.... ARE YOU FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND!

Just think about your game.... be consistent on offense and defense.... start with DEFENSE.... work on being a shut down defender..... be ready to help at all times, get every loose ball and rebound when you can. Have some pride in your game defensivley. Tell me something -- what happened between your 7th & 8th grade year ? What did you do differently? Worry to much about scoring and not caring about defense? Trying to be flashy instead just a solid player?

I don't know if there are any camps where you are at, but that would be a start..... too bad you didn't talk to us earlier. Work on your ball handling skills, your shooting and footwork,. Get quicker so you can play better D.... D is all about pride and a willingness to stop the other team from doing what they want to do.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for........ but let us know.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 10:53 

I think I would add this..... BE A TEAM PLAYER.... As a guard you should be able to make your teammates better... thats one way of getting respect

Respect is earned ... think about someone on your team that you respect and ask yourself.... why do I respect him?
This goes for every part of your life.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 10:57 

Well between 7th and 8th grade year i player aau and i dont know what happened and i guess i put that wrong i dont want to be flashy but i want to be able to always fit the pass in and finish over bigger guys and i dont know why ive just never been good at defense i need help with that any tips or drills etc

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 11:09 

Josh -

Take the word FLASHY out of your vocabulary and think more about being fundamentally sound. You are a young guy and have plenty of time to make yourself a better player. All the posts that you sent are pretty much about becoming a better all around player.... yes?

That takes a lot of practice and repititions .. IF you can, find a personal trainer to help you out.... talk to the high school coaches. Did you go to their camps this summer? Are there any camps in your area that you can go to... one that teaches some fundamentals and how to play the game?

Defense is about moving your feet and keeping the offensive player away from his comfort zone... the things he wants to do. Offensively, don't worry about trying to fit a pass between Kobe and LeBron..... just find the opon man and get him thte ball. I hope I'm not coming on to strong for you... but, don't thinl about being a star.... just be a good player... the best player that Josh can be.

I've seen freshman come in with little to no skills and end up All Conference by the time they were Seniors, that takes work and commitment. Be patient with yourself and work on your game..

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 13:11 

i have questions in every section of the player forum could u check them out please and answer them please and thankyou

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 13:33 

Josh -

I already answered them.... go take a look... my first name is Ken :-) Did you think you were going to get away? LOL

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 13:38 

On all my other topics I have views but no replies

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 15:38 

Josh....

If you look at tihs -

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/Ray-Allen-Shooting-Drill.html
The last two posts should have given you and idea as to what you need to work on to make yourself a point guard.

I think I pretty much answered all of your questions. Yes? Do yourself a favor and don't worry so much, just work on your game and have some fun while you are at it.