All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 11:15 

My son (age 14) rolled his ankle last night in practice, he could walk on it afterwards with some discomfort. After practice he soaked his foot in a bucket of ice off and on for a good hour or so and kept it elevated. He had to work today (he is a volunteer for the local zoo) 8 hours, so he'll be walking around a bit. We'll soak it again tonight when he gets home. It didn't seem swollen. We have a competitive tournament this weekend and I'm betting he'll tell me he can play.

What indicators do you guys use that would make you think it was okay for a player to play after something like this?

How about treatment after the injury? Ice soaking? Elevated? Exercises?

We've taped his ankles in the past when an injury has occurred and it seemed to work fine. He's not a big fan of the ankle support sleeves, but they seem to provide a lot more stability than a tape job alone.

Our first game is late Friday night, we have some on Sat and some on Sunday. My concern is that even if he thinks he can play, he'll favor the ankle and won't be able to play full bore. I also don't want to risk further injury, so I wouldn't hesitate to sit him out if I thought he couldn't play.

Appreciate any thoughts, experiences, etc.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 18:43 

Rob -

I'm not a doctor or a trainer and I cant see how he is moving.... so its hard to tell. One thing I can tell you is that they will all say.... I FEEL GOOD. :-) He is 14 already? He was 10 when we first started talking? Darn you are getting old hahaha. Heck, last year I remembered his name and now with CRS, is it Blake? How is his 3 ball coming along??

Ice is good and some easy exercises too. I had a trainer so I didn't have to make those decisions.... I would be concerned about him playing and risking further injury. ( don't tell him I said that LOL )

The first thing we looked at was how he could run slowly straight ahead, then I would look at how he can make cuts.... the game is all about planting and cutting, starting and stopping. Is there a trainer at the high school that he can see (with you) ?? IF you go to a doctor he will tell you to rest it for 2 weeks and come back and see him. Do you have an "Athletcio" in your area? They might be able to help you out.

I am saying this because I cant see how he is moving.... You have to do what you think is the right thing..... its only a game right now. Here are a few things I found.

http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-an-Ankle-Sprain

http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/how-to/foot-injury/Pages/How%20to%20Care%20for%20a%20Sprained%20Ankle.aspx

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sprained-ankle/DS01014/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 22:55 

Sar -

Time flies when you're coaching. Nicholas is my son's name and he's turned into quite the player. Funny thing about practice, the more you do it, the better you get. He finally figured that out.

Good advice on the treatment. We've been through this a few times over the years, so I wanted to check our methods with some other coaches. He was able to run pretty fast tonight on some trial runs. Side to side is a bit sore. Soaked it again tonight in a bucket of ice. It just didn't seem as severe as the other sprains he's had in previous years.

We'll see how he's feeling tomorrow night. It's only a few games in a tourney, so if he misses a few, that's how it goes.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 08:01 

Rob -

Glad to hear that his game has improved a lot.... Young kid have to be nudged a little bit, but until it is something that THEY really want... wasted breath. :-)

I hope his ankle improves enough to play..... but, you are the adult.... don't let him bully you into a bad decision haha
Just keep an eye on how he cuts and how he moves playing defense, that should tell the story.

MANY years ago, when I wsa coaching 8th graders, we were getting ready for the semi final game of our league championship.... so I decided that we would do some shooting... nothing more. My best player sprained his ankle and "neglected" to tell me about it. We start the game and he is not himself, needless to say. I take him out for a few minutes and put him back in...... It had gotten worse. I took him out and sat him for the rest of the game and of course we lost... but I couldn't watch him limping and hurting on the floor. I asked him what happened as he was sitting by me, he told me that he twisted it at the shoot around. Asked him why he didn't tell me..... and of course,,, "because I wanted to play." Great kid... is now a doctor.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 23:47 

Great story about the kid who became a doc.

Worked out okay in the tourney. He played all 5 games with a taped ankle. Wasn't at full strength, but it worked out in the end.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 06:16 

Glad to hear that it healed enough for him to play.... I'm sure that made him happy and took some pressure off of you.