All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 07:15 
Site Admin

Peter says:
6/2/2013 at 7:08:47 PM
hi,

My name is Peter and i live in New Zealand where Bball isn't very popular, our season at high school hasn't started yet. My dream is to go to America to play Bball. I am about 5'8 a good rebounder. Great at driving to the rim and post moves Good Defense, ballhandling and great blocker (i guess thats because i'm playin against shorter guys). But i need help with my shooting it always hits the rim too hard and is the worst part of my game.
P.S i am confused about my position as well.
Thanks

Ken Sartini says:
6/3/2013 at 11:56:26 AM
Hi Peter -

Take a look at this first....

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/btshooting.html

It sounds like you could use a little help with your form? Shot too flat?

To correct this problem, it is going to take 100s, no, more like 1,000s of shots to create a new muscle memory - so the shot becomes automatic.

The first thing you have to do is correct your form... that can be done by shooting against a wall so you don''t have to worry about making the shot... only using correct form - 100s of shots a day until you have correct form. Then you can go to the basket and do what we called BEEF check going from Block to the Middle to the other Block.

Step 1 - We started this with the SHOOTING HAND ONLY.... maybe 12 shots in all.
Step 2 - Then you can bring your guide hand up but NOT on the ball and do the same thing. 12 more shots.
Step 3 - - 12 more shots with your guide hand in the proper position. ( your guide hand has nothing to do with the shot other than to keep the ball in the proper position on your shooting hand.)
The next thing to do would be to step back several feet... 6-7 feet? Now repeat Step 3, don''t move any further back until you have mastered this distance. Once you are shooting with a good percentage, you can move further back. Don''t move to the three point line if you are shooting 30 percent from 10 - 15 feet.

Don Kelbick says that a good shooting percentage is around 46% and in game situations that is good... in practice, from short range, I would like to see it a little higher.

From the free throw line... depending on your age and ability level, 60 to 80 percent is what I had my kids try to achieve.

To explain BEEF for those who haven''t heard that term.

B - Balance ( staggered stance, one foot slightly in front of the other )
E - Elbow under the ball ( the elbow might be SLIGHTLY out )
E - Eye on the target (keep your eye on the target until the ball goes in)
F - Follow through..... ( keep your arm extended until the ball goes in)

I hope this helps.

If you can explain about your shot being to HARD a little more, it might be easier to help you. Its hard to make a lot of suggestions when you cant see the shot.

As for your position... what do you mean?

Peter says:
6/4/2013 at 12:26:53 AM
What i mean by position is PG SG SF PF and C. As for my jumpshot i might email you a video if thats ok thanks for the shooting guide as well.

Ken Sartini says:
6/4/2013 at 8:42:20 AM
Peter -

As for your position - a lot of that depends on your skills and size..... at 5'8 you might be looking at a PG or SG, depending on your team and where the coach needs you.

Seeing your shot would help us a lot if you can send a link.

Peter says:
6/9/2013 at 3:14:45 AM
sorry about not sending u a video of my jumpshot yet. There has been bad weather over here and i dont think u will see my normal shot if the balls wet.

Ken Sartini says:
6/9/2013 at 3:48:47 PM
No problem Peter - Get it done when the weather is better.

Matthew says:
6/13/2013 at 3:49:25 AM
hi
my name is matthew and i am 14 years of age and am only 5"3 and would like some tips to how to get shots over larger people because my friend Peter blocks me a little too often do you have any turn around fadeaway tips please?

Ken Sartini says:
6/13/2013 at 8:01:41 AM
Hi Matt -

I know the feeling. Is this in games or 1 on 1 stuff?

First of all, don't force shots, make sure that you are open. SHOT BLOCKERS are vulnerable to a great shot fake, once you get them off their feet or even to lock up their knees, you can blow by them. IF your dribble is dead, then you cant do that .... so, catch, triple threat, nice shot fake and see how he reacts... or any defender for that matter.

Hesistation and / or crossover dribbles work well and once you get your lead foot along side of his outside foot, you have him beat.... take it to the hole.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Joe might have a few tips for you also.

Peter says:
6/15/2013 at 4:44:20 AM
hi Ken sorry i still haven't sent u a video it still is wet. I see you have been talkin to Matthew (one of my mates.) There is a tournament this wednesay and one of my other friends said i should play center but i don't know i am the best rebounder but i prefer SF because i am good at attacking the rim with my lay ups i don't know. What should i do?
P.S could u reply ASAP

Ken Sartini says:
6/15/2013 at 11:48:50 AM
Hi Peter -

I thought that Matt was refering to you You like blocking the little guys shot huh. LOL

I always tell players to play to their strengths,....While playing SF is your preference, would playing C be better for your team?

I don't know what your offense is, but, why cant you do a little of both? Every team needs a good rebounder and you can get a lot of points on put backs. Then you can always step out and utilize your other strengths.

As a coach, I wanted to build my team around a good PG, a C and then some shooters, oh yeah, don't forget a shut down defender.

Talk to your coach and ask him where you would help the team the most. Let me know how this goes an good luck Wednesday.

Ken Sartini says:
6/15/2013 at 11:51:29 AM
By the way Matt.... I think that when you fade away on your shot, it makes it easier to block since they won't foul you, and two, it makes your shot flat.

Peter and Matt.... you guys are putting me in the middle of this huh! LOL

Good luck to you both.

Matthew says:
6/16/2013 at 3:08:10 AM
who are you calling the little guy! nah thats okay LOL thanks for the tips i feel im improving so hopefully ill be getting round him soon thankyou

Peter says:
6/16/2013 at 3:19:17 AM
Get round me!!! I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!

Peter says:
6/16/2013 at 3:22:02 AM
Thank you for the help Ken

Ken Sartini says:
6/16/2013 at 8:26:52 AM
Matt & Peter -

You two are funny....Its great that you are friends and have this competitive nature. You WILL make each other better.

Matt, I was 4'11 freshman @ 13 and when I graduated from high school, I was about 5'6 1/5 so dont worry about me calling you a little guy.... that was just me giving Peter some grief.

My players called me Sar or Coach Sar.... and one kid on another string ( we had gone back and forth for a long time ) said ... Now I know where the SAR in Sarcasm comes from... I thought that was pretty funny. AND, IF you played for me, you would know what I mean.

OK, so I am in the middle of the P / M Duel....LOL Keep working on your weaknesses, everybody has them. When you play against people, look for them and then attack them.

I don't want to hear that you two are fighting I will have to take a 18 hour plane flight to straighten you out. LOL HAVE FUN GUYS.

Ken Sartini says:
6/16/2013 at 8:30:30 AM
Peter -

He could always "break your ankles" LOL

When you send that video with your shot... send a little 1 on 1 with you guys.

Matthew says:
6/18/2013 at 2:22:39 AM
sounds good but Peter is honestly the better player but i have been practicing taking charges so hopefully ill get a few fouls out of him

Peter says:
6/18/2013 at 4:38:41 AM
OK Ken we will play some 1 on 1 and i will send u a video. By the way hes a Lakers fan and i'm a CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!! fan. So we're competitive on the court and off. I don't think he will break my ankles but he is pretty good. U know that tournament i was talking about. It has been postponed because of flooding at the place it was going to be held. THANKS AGAIN

Ken Sartini says:
6/18/2013 at 8:16:16 AM
Matt & Peter -

Lakers and Celtics??? OUCH!! I'm a Bulls fan so I wont hold that against you guys. :-)
Do you guys go to the same school?

Sorry to hear that the tourney was cancelled, be patient, they will reschedule I'm sure.

Like I said before, I love the way you guys are so competitive yet GOOD FRIENDS. You will make each other better players by your work ethic.

I will try to help you both if I can.....so my advice is meant to help you guys. Play to your strengths and look for the weaknesses of your opponent. Matt, I love your idea about taking charges... IF you can do that, you could have played for me any time. Taking charges and getting all the loose balls are what I call game changers.

Peter, you and Matt are young... keep working on your fundamentals, most of the time they WILL make the difference between being successful or not.

I hope you don;'t mind me answering your posts with one reply?? If that doesn't work out, let me know.

Matthew says:
6/19/2013 at 11:58:02 PM
hey Ken
today at school we played some 5 on 5 at lunchtime in the school gym, i was playing a strong game, one minute i would be driving to the rim for cheeky layups and the next i would be sprinting down the court to play strong defence but i was getting overpowered by older bigger and stronger people who were putting 2 or 3 and maybe even 4 people on me at once to muscle the ball off me and at the rebounds i would get knocked over because they would jump at me and get over me, but on the plus side i was using my size to speed past them and fancy dribbling to get round them but they would just use their power to overwhelm me because seeing as it was a fun game the rules were a bit relaxed and my team was more of an opposition team than a defensive team so many times i found myself defending 2 on 1 or even 3 or 4 on 1, any tips on defending the big guys( and i mean bigger than Peter, maybe 6 foot) and any tips on getting blocked out by big guys that stop you from passing the ball?

Ken Sartini says:
6/20/2013 at 8:41:45 AM
Hey Matt -

In pickup games there are no rules I take it. :-)

Its pretty hard to get around 2 guys let alone 3. If there is two.... step between them and then use your dribble... if your dribble is dead, then you might try stepping through them and pass the ball. Funny thing... I was helping this 7/8 grade coach and a kid - his name was Matty too..... they would double team him and he would make the pass between them... he is 5' tall

If you see a double team coming, dribble back to get yourself into a better position and then go forward. Make sense? Also, IF you see the double team coming, find the open man and make the pass. Stay away from the corners so you have more room to operate.

IF you are quicker than these guys, then use a hesitation crossover. Some big guys like to take advantage of the little guys... LOL Just kidding... :-) But until you get a little taller, you might as well get used to it and work on a way to avoid that situation.

As far as defending bigger guys, don't let them get to the spot where they can be more effective. If they are on the perimeter, look for their weaknesses and force them that way.... like to their weak hand. If they post you up, thats trouble, play a little physical... lean on them, OR spin around and dead front them... hands up high.... you can sit back on them a bit too if you know what I mean?

Sorry for rambling... but I hope I helped a little bit, IF I have confused you, let me know and I will try to clear it up. Hang in there buddy, I like your attitude about the game.

Matthew says:
6/21/2013 at 2:26:28 AM
thanks Ken i'll take that into account and try and use it to my advantage, and on defence i have been playing a little rough like reaching in for the steal or blocking their shots before they even lift the ball that is why i was getting targeted because at the start i was dominating (modesty) them.
thanks for the tips
P.S. i am annoyed about Miami winning the NBA

Ken Sartini says:
6/21/2013 at 7:43:12 AM
Your welcome Matt -

When you are playing, you (we) always have to look for an advantage, thats how you take some people out of their game.

Blocking their shots on the lift works for me, I taught that to some of my players vs some guys that either dipped before their shot or held the ball low in front of them - just put your hand in their chest, they will have to pivot to bring the ball up before they shoot, advantage YOU.

Be careful about reaching for the ball, usually guys will foul when they do that.... and when you reach your FEET STOP, not a good thing. Stay low and look for their crossover or when they put the ball right in front of themselves, then use and upward flicking motion, that way you shouldn't get called for a foul.

There is no MODESTY in your family is there, you have it all LOL It does sound like you have a lot of confidence and that is a good thing.

As for your PS...... I wanted to throw my remote at the tv in game 6, talk about blowing a game!! While LeBron is one of the best players in the game, he is the biggest whiner.... JMO And, he will NEVER be like Mike.

Ken Sartini says:
6/21/2013 at 11:27:33 AM
Matt -

Here is a thought for you..... sounds like you love to play D, so thats a good thing.

One year I had a great PG.... and his back up was. well, way behind, except for playing D. So, I put them against each other every day... they made each other better. The 2nd kid was a soccer player and could go non stop... he was like 2 defenders.

So, play against Peter and try to make his life miserable, and you both will improve. Your D skills will get better as will his O skills. Now, when the situation is revesed, he WILL do the same to you and this is a good thing too.

Good luck

Peter says:
6/24/2013 at 4:52:13 AM
hi Ken today i have just met a retired player from one of our pro basketball leagues. I asked him if he would train me he said that he would train me a little. He also said there was a basketball camp coming up and he would send me the details. I still need your helpful tips though so don't think that you've gotten rid of me yet. Noticed you guys are HEAT!!!!!!!!!!! HATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. I'm a CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! first but i have to give respect where its due. I agree with Ken about game 6 WHAT A COMEBACK the Spurs blew it but i still LOVE them. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one of the best of all time for sure. THANKS for the tips on shooting i have improved majorly PS LeBron could beat MIKE (RESPECT he is the GOAT) you never know. This is the end just like the NBA season NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Sartini says:
6/24/2013 at 5:14:09 PM
Hi Peter -

Glad to see that you found someone who can help you there..... its always better when he can work WITH you. I hope the camp works out for you too !

Glad to hear that you are enjoying my tips, getting rid of me?? awww :-( Don't try that, its a long swim over there!

Don't get me wrong about LeBron, he is one of the greatest today..... BUT BEAT MJ...no way my friend. He couldn't hold his gym bag! LOL Did you EVER see MJ pass up a game winner? Whine like a baby, lay down and argue with a ref? I don't think so!

I AM glad that I can help your shooting, I always thought that I did a pretty good job with my players.... so let me know how things are going.

Stay in touch Peter but forget your PS's, they are making you look bad LOL :-)
Don't forget the SAR in SARcasm!

Ken Sartini says:
6/24/2013 at 5:27:22 PM
Hey Peter -

IF you are going to throw me out like yesterday's garbage... I will have to pull a rabbit out of my hat to help Matt... so he can break your ankles LOL J/K

Just had to throw that out there. :-)

Peter says:
6/25/2013 at 3:36:40 AM
Cleveland=Whiner
Miami=Winner

PS I didn't say he would beat Mike but i said it was a possibility (MIRACLES HAPPEN). What about Wiggins and Jabrii Parker they could be pretty good. I WOULD NEVER GET RID OF YOU KEN LETS JUST SAY I HAVE TWO MENTORS.

Peter says:
6/25/2013 at 3:41:47 AM
YOUR A BULLS FAN KEN I JUST REMEMBERED THATS WHY YOUR A HEAT HATER. KG BETTER STAY WITH THE CELTICS EVEN THOUGH DOC RIVERS IS GONE K.

Ken Sartini says:
6/25/2013 at 7:22:49 AM
Peter -

Just so I can clarify this... I think you are a good kid and I was just kidding around with you. Thanks for telling me that you wouldn't get rid of me.... :-) I like to joke around a lot and have some fun.... so don't take me too seriously when I throw out some SARcasm..Coach Sar remember? :-) IF some of these things I say bother you, let me know and I will be a little more serious.

Heater Hater? LOL .. thats funny. I only disliked the way they put the team together. They have some great players, Lebron being one of them... but as you know, I am a Bulls fan AND MJ is the best GAMER ever. Gamer meaning he would never pass up a game winning shot, and how many wide open shots or FTs did that guy miss.... not many.

Le needs to work on his head game, meaning that he has to get a little more confidence in what he can do, like make FTs when the game is on the line. The guy is a beast and he can defend anyone on the floor... PGs to Cs... I do wonder if he could have defended MJ..... the best could only TRY. :-)

The Cletics will miss Doc. KG is a Chicago guy, ( I live in this area ) and I always thought he was a GREAT player. He played HS ball here.... it was fun to watch him play some games on TV.

Seriously, I am glad that you found someone there who can personally work with you....that always works better than me just talking to you.... although I am glad that I have made a difference in your game. Any questions or suggestions I am more than happy to help you with. Good luck and keep working on your game.

By the way, you are going into HS next year or were a freshman ( 1st year ) this year? How did your season go?

Peter says:
6/26/2013 at 12:51:28 AM
Hey Ken you know i was only messing with ya i haven't been mad at all. I love your SARcasm as well don't worry i'm not a very serious guy. I'm a class clown and don't take things to heart. Its hard to see emotions in comments but all the things i put in capitals aren't pissed of comments there just being emphasized. Sorry that you saw them that way. Our season hasn't even started yet this is NZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they only like RUGBY!!!!!!!!!!!! (Our version of AMERICAN FOOTBALL but different) the season only goes for 2 months or something its a MASSIVE LET DOWN.
P.S Sorry about the confusion and tell me if you don't like me putting things in CAPITALS.

Ken Sartini says:
6/26/2013 at 8:56:42 AM
No problem Peter - NOTHING to be sorry about except for thinking that Lebron is better than Michael Jordon LOL

Now that we have that all straightened out we can go about the business of basketball and having some fun with each other.... but, I bet you are SERIOUS when you are playing basketball. LOL Kind of like me when I was coaching.... all business...although I had fun with them a lot.

I use CAPS for that also.... What was last years season like? Rugby huh.... hmmmm.... like us playing tackle football in the parks without equipment... kind of crazy.... then we went to touch but it was just as rough sometimes.

I'm glad that you have a good sense of humor... life is too short to be serious ALL the time. Like I said, I think you are a good kid, I hope you stay that way..... those teen years can be tough. I taught and coached high school kids for 27 years..... I know what they go through and all the temptations too.

Lets keep working on your game & SHOT and have some fun along the way. Take care and BTW, has Matt broken your ankles yet? LOL

Ken Sartini says:
6/26/2013 at 9:08:32 AM
By the way Peter..... don't know if you follow Hockey but.... the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS won the Stanley Cup. :-)

Matthew says:
6/27/2013 at 3:26:58 AM
thanks ken for the muscle memory tips i have improved my shot accuracy by a lot and for the first time today i managed to hit a 3 without chucking the ball so these tips are amaziing playing basketball at the moment is good but the people we are versing we are playing fun games not serious so they are intentionally fouling us and getting away with it any tips and some of the people we play with are ball hogs( not saying any names but peter will know who im talking about) how do i get them to get me the ball more often?

Peter says:
6/27/2013 at 4:28:19 AM
Hi Ken
Matt only breakin my ankles in his DREAMS. My season last year was really good i was in primary school though so it was EASY PEASY. I don't follow Hockey but my CANADIAN teacher does hes been tellin me about it and we joke about which sport is better. Nice to see your HOME TEAM is repping for Chicago. I bet your hoping D ROSE makes a MASSIVE COMEBACK , BULLS could be pretty good next year. CELTICS are REBUILDING so i'm gonna have to wait a while. You know those BALLHOGS (SENIORS) Matts talkin about i decided i ain't gonna worry about being an offensive player because i won't get the ball a lot from the hogs so I earned the ball (AND THEIR RESPECT) on DEFENSE played like a DEFENSIVE BEAST blockin shots all over the place and heaps of steals. One of the blocks was a chasedown just like LeBron usually does how ironic ( just after our little debate as well maybe it's a sign that LEBRONS gonna be better then the GOAT LOL ).

P.S When it comes to being a GM MJ is the WOAT (WORST OF ALL TIME) also he hired PATRICK EWING as his assistant Head Coach which isn't a bad thing but i reckon if they played for their beloved CHARLOTTE HORNETS (used to be CHARLOTTE BOBCATS but u know that) they would do better then the team they have at the moment LOL.

Ken Sartini says:
6/27/2013 at 7:21:16 AM
Hey Matt -

I'm glad that your shot is getting better... just remember that PERFECT practice makes PERFECT ...... thats where you develop the muscle memory.

I'm sorry that you are playing with some BALL HOGS..... Some seniors will look down at the younger kids.... they must think they are all that. Read Peters comment about how to gain their respect .... get in their face on D... steals etc. They don't call fouls so you can up your game a bit too.. You might try this... as soon as one of them turn their back to you when they have the ball, go for a steal

See if you can get them to play this game...
IF its 5 on 5, game is to 6 and everyone has to score before any player can hit the game winner. They might not like it but it is a FUN game and every gets involved. Hang in there, I was in your shoes at that age.... 4'11 remember?

Keep working on your game and forget those guys. You cant dictate what they do but you CAN make yourself better. The 3s will come when you get bigger and stronger... so don't worry about that... I was a junior in HS before I even tried my first jump shot.

Have some fun and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Stay in touch.

Ken Sartini says:
6/27/2013 at 7:33:46 AM
Peter -

Glad you had a good year, keep working on your game because it only gets harder... kids get bigger, stronger and faster.... and of course, so will you if you keep practicing.

Tell your teacher that the Blackhawks are the BEST LOL (at least this year) I love both sports but I chose to coach Basketball moslty... I coached football and baseball too, no baseball at the HS level.. but about 8 years of football until I got the Head Boys Basketball gig.

I hope D Rose comes back quicker and stronger, the guy is amazing for his size. (remind Matt of that, you don't have to be big, just quick and fearless) I hope the Bulls get a shot at the championship next year... like when MJ was playing LOL .. Can youCOUNT TO SIX?? Use both hands LOL Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

I'm glad that you found a way to compete with the older kids... there is always a way to get back. Defense will find you a way on the floor once the season starts too. Be a shut down defender as your offense gets better.

PS/PS I never said that MJ was a good owner or GM.... but as a player... he had ice water in his veins.. unlike Lebron.... he has, oh well... LOL mush. MJ couldn't play baseball very well either... but seriously, IF you had a choice between MJ and Lebron..... there is only one.... and thats MJ! :-)

Keep practicing and stay in touch. Let me know when Matt breaks your ankles LOL

Peter says:
6/28/2013 at 5:30:50 AM
Hi Ken
did you see what happened at the draft WHAT A SHOCKER. NERLENS NOEL WASN'T EVEN in the TOP 5. CELTICS gave away PIERCE and my FAVORITE PLAYER KG for some draft picks, KHRIS HUMPHRIES and G WALLACE. I'm startin to think my 2nd favorite team could be the NETS, the GRASS is looking GREENER over there LOL. "NOT 1 NOT 2 ON DECK NOT 3 NOT 4 NOT 5 NOT 6 NOT 7 ON THE WAY" AS LeBron and D Wade SAID. PHIL JACKSON'S THE MASTER OF RINGS ANYWAY 10 FINGERS 11 RINGS.
P.S I'm surprised MATTHEW hasn't joined the debate yet he truthfully believes KOBE BALLHOG BRYANT is the BEST NO!!!!!!!!!! WAY!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Sartini says:
6/28/2013 at 7:21:06 AM
Hey Peter -

I didn't get a chance to see any of that, I am out of town attending a 3 days 50th anniversy party.... I'm too old for this stuff LOL
From what you are saying, it looks like the Celtics are going young and in a rebuilding stage?

I would say that Phil is one of the best EVER,,, Master of Rings... hmmm I like that.... maybe if you took his shoes off you would find the 11th??

So, where is the little man? Kobe was another one that when he came into the league, he thought he was the BEST.. just like Lebron.... Big head and a mouth to go along with it. Kobe learned and now Lebron has to learn to let his game do the talking... ( I would suggest that to you as you get into HS too) :-) I am NOT saying that you have a big mouth, just saying, let your game do the talking.

Lets go back several years.... when MJ was plaiyng he was the best hands down. ( still is the all time best IMO ) Then came Kobe, took him a few years and it was him... not anymore, LeBron has taken over that role - some where along the line, someone else will knock him off too. Sorry Matt but thats the way it goes... IF you two guys ever watched Michael play, you would know what I mean. He did things on the floor that werent human.

Ok, here is a little tip for you and Matt..... since he tells me that the seniors like to try and push you guys around ..... push the ball handler up the sideline and as he crosses half court, get in front of him and make him spin.... then the other guy comes up from the back side and looks for the steal as he spins... clear? Better be, we are going to have a test. Its called spin and double.

By the way guys, don't worrry about the Seniors.... they do NOT want to let the LITTLE FRESHMAN make them look bad... part of the deal.

Matthew says:
6/29/2013 at 2:43:42 AM
Ken-

did you hear about Steven Adams no 12. draft pick to OKC and no offence to you 2 but Lebron did not take over Kobe, Kobe played like Lebron never will, he had games like Wilt Chamberlain, showed skills like MJ and got to the point where his team had to rely on him just because he is the great 'Black Mamba" Kobe all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew says:
6/29/2013 at 2:44:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwM-M86Ojbk

Peter says:
6/29/2013 at 3:43:05 AM
Hi Matthew
you say KOBE had WILT NIGHTS. WILT NIGHTS are usually 50+ games right. Just a little info KOBE has 24 games with 50+ points and WILT has 105 if i'm doin my MATH right that's 4x the amount THE BLACK MAMBA has. MIKE has 39 15 more then KOBE.

LeBron vs Kobe
(here's the proof that LeBrons better)

Rookie of the Year
LeBron James: Yes
Kobe Bryant: No

All-Rookie First Team
LeBron James: Yes
Kobe Bryant: No

Regular season & Playoffs combined
Games with 12 or more assists
LeBron James: 45
Kobe Bryant: 21

Games with 10 or more assists:
LeBron James: 119
Kobe Bean Bryant: 79

Games with less than 3 assists:
LeBron James: 24
Kobe Bryant: 281

Fun fact: In playoffs and regular season combined LeBron has 24 games with less than 3 assists, Kobe Bryant has 43 playoff games in his career with under 3 assists.

Games with less than 2 assists:
LeBron James: 6
Kobe Bryant: 148

Fun fact: In playoffs and regular season combined LeBron has 6 games with less than 2 assists, Kobe Bryant has 28 playoff games in his career with under 2 assists.

Games with 0 assists:
LeBron James: 1
Kobe Bryant: 59

Games with at least 15 rebounds:
LeBron James: 10
Kobe Bryant: 5

Games with at least 12 rebounds:
LeBron James: 60
Kobe Bryant: 29

Regular season
Games with at least 80 points:
Kobe Bryant: 1
LeBron James: 0

Regular season
Games with at least 50 points:
Kobe Bryant: 24
LeBron James: 9

Regular season
Games with at least 40 points:
Kobe Bryant: 107
LeBron James: 46

Regular season
Games with at least 30 points:
Kobe Bryant: 360
LeBron James: 258

Regular season
Seasons under 50% shooting
Kobe Bryant: 15
LeBron James: 6

Regular season
Seasons under 48% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 15
LeBron James: 3

Regular season
Seasons over 50% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 0
LeBron James: 2

Regular season
Seasons at 48% shooting or higher:
Kobe Bryant: 0
LeBron James: 5

Regular season
Games with under 50% shooting
LeBron James: 341
Kobe Bryant: 646

Regular season
Games with under 48% shooting
LeBron James: 324
Kobe Bryant: 599

Regular season
Games with under 46% shooting
LeBron James: 271
Kobe Bryant: 573

Regular season
Games with under 44% shooting
LeBron James: 221
Kobe Bryant: 485

Regular season
Games with under 42% shooting
LeBron James: 176
Kobe Bryant: 421

Regular season
Games with under 40% shooting
LeBron James: 129
Kobe Bryant: 339

Regular season
Games with under 35% shooting
LeBron James: 72
Kobe Bryant: 202

Regular season
Games with under 30% shooting
LeBron James: 35
Kobe Bryant: 102

Regular season
Seasons with at least 30% 3 point shooting:
Kobe: 13
LeBron: 7

Regular season
Seasons with at least 31% 3 point shooting:
Kobe: 12
LeBron: 7

Regular season
Seasons with at least 33% 3 point shooting:
Kobe: 8
LeBron: 5

Regular season
Career 3 point shooting percentages:
Kobe: 33.9%
LeBron: 32.9%

Regular season
Career Points Per Game:
Kobe: 25.3ppg
LeBron: 27.7ppg

Shot jacking? Regular season
Games with 36 shot attempts or more:
LeBron: 1
Kobe: 22

Of Kobe's 22 games with 36 shots or more, he shot under 50% 17 times, 45% or lower 11 times, under 40% 3 times, this is the DEFINITION of shot jacking.

Regular season
Games with 40 points and under 50% shooting
LeBron: 7 of 46 games 40+ points
Kobe: 46 of 107 games 40+ points
Yes, that's right, almost half of Kobe's 40 point games involved missing more shots than made ones.

Regular season
50 point games with under 45% shooting
LeBron James: 0
Kobe Bryant: 3

NBA Playoffs
50 point or higher games
Kobe: 1
LeBron: 0

NBA Playoffs
40 point or higher games
Kobe: 11
LeBron: 9

NBA Playoff runs under 50% shooting:
Kobe: 14 (every year)
LeBron: 4

NBA Playoff runs over 50% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 0 (never)

NBA Playoff runs under 48% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 13
LeBron James: 4

NBA Playoff runs over 48% shooting:

NBA Playoff runs under 46% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 10

NBA Playoff runs under 44% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 6

NBA Playoff runs over 30ppg:
Kobe Bryant: 4

NBA Playoff runs over 32ppg:
Kobe Bryant: 2

NBA Playoff runs over 34ppg:
Kobe Bryant: 0 (never)

Scoring titles
Kobe Bryant: 2

Regular Season
Percentage of points scored on free throws:
LeBron James: 23.9%
Kobe Bryant: 25.2%

Playoffs
Percentage of points scored on free throws:
LeBron James: 27.7%
Kobe Bryant: 23.5%

Regular Season & Playoffs combined
Record in games with 30+ shot attempts
LeBron James: 16-14 (.533)
Kobe Bean Bryant: 48-63 (.432)
LeBron James shoots his team to wins, Kobe Bryant shoots his team out of wins.

Career Player Efficiency Rating
LeBron James: 26.91
Kobe Bryant: 23.53

Seasons at 30 points per game or higher:
Kobe Bryant: 3

Regular season
2011: Kobe took 154 more shots, LeBron scored 33 more points
2010: Kobe took 41 more shots, LeBron scored 288 more points
2009: Kobe took 99 more shots, LeBron scored 103 more points
As you can see, Kobe shoots more, but LeBron still outscores him.

Regular season career averages:
LeBron James: 27.7ppg 7.1reb 7.0ast 47.9%fg 32.9%3pt
Kobe Bryant: 25.3ppg 5.3reb 4.7ast 45.4%fg 33.9%3pt

Playoff career averages:
LeBron James: 29.3ppg 8.4reb 7.3ast 45.9%fg 31.6%3pt
Kobe Bryant: 25.5ppg 5.2reb 4.8ast 44.8%fg 33.7%3pt

Playoff series against common opponents:
vs 2008 Celtics
LeBron James: 26.7ppg 6.4reb 7.6ast 35.5%fg
Kobe Bryant: 25.7ppg 4.7reb 5.0ast 41.1%fg

vs 2009 Magic
LeBron James: 38.5ppg 8.3reb 8.0ast 75 48.7%fg
Kobe Bryant: 32.4ppg 5.6reb 7.4ast 58 42.9%fg

vs 2010 Celtics
LeBron James: 26.8ppg 9.3reb 7.2ast 44.7%fg
Kobe Bryant: 28.6ppg 8.0reb 3.9ast 40.5%fg
(worst shooting % for a Finals MVP)

Kobe Bryant holds the worst shooting performance in NBA Finals history for a Finals MVP (6-24 shooting, 18 missed shots).

vs 2011 Mavericks
LeBron James: 17.8ppg 7.1reb 6.8ast 47.7%fg 32.1%3pt
Kobe Bryant: 23.3ppg 3.0reb 2.5ast 45.8%fg 22.7%3pt

Defensive player of the year:
LeBron James: Runner up twice
Kobe Bryant: not even close

The fact that Kobe Bryant has accumulated 9 1st defensive team selections is an absolute joke of epic proportions and a slap at the history of the game.

Kobe was a solid defender in his prime, but the game was watered down when it pertains to good defensive shooting guards, and Kobe won most of his 1st defensive team selections based on reputation, that's a fact.

Olympic Gold Medals

Kobe Bryant is not among the top 100 players all time in regular season assists per game.
LeBron James is. He’s #26 in regular season assists per game all time.

Kobe Bryant is not among the top 10 players all time in regular season points per game.
LeBron James is #3 all time in regular season points per game.

Kobe Bryant is not among the top 40 players all time in playoff assists per game.
LeBron James is. He’s #15 in playoff assists per game all time.

Kobe Bryant is not among the top 10 players all time in playoff points per game.
LeBron James is. He’s #5 in playoff points per game all time.

NBA Finals Most Valuable Player awards
LeBron James: 0 in 2 tries
Kobe Bryant: 2 in 7 tries

Regular season MVP awards:

Kobe Bryant was 29 years old the first time he led his team to the NBA Finals and 30 years old the first time he led his team to a championship. LeBron James was 22 years old the first time he led a team to the NBA Finals.

That gives LeBron 4 more years to match Kobe age vs age in the leading a team to a championship achievement. Something tells me he will do that.

LeBron James has led the NBA in regular season win shares 3 times, Kobe has never led the NBA in regular season win shares or even come close.

LeBron James has led the NBA in playoff win shares three times, Kobe has led the NBA in playoff win shares once.

Kobe Bryant averages 1.92 win shares per playoff run, LeBron James averages 3.08 win shares per playoff run.

Kobe Bryant doesn't have one season that ranks in the top 85 for win shares, LeBron James's 2008-2009 season ranks 17th all time in win shares for a given season. LeBron's 2009-2010 season ranks 24th all time in win shares for a season.

Kobe Bryant averages 10.42 win shares per season, LeBron James averages 14.86 win shares per season.

As you can see LeBron James is singlehandedly much more responsible for his team's victories than Kobe Bryant could ever dream of being.

Who was the better outside shooter in 2010-2011?
LeBron James shot 45.0% from 16-23 feet
Kobe Bryant shot 38.0% from 16-23 feet
(According to hoopdata)

Who was the better three point shooter in 2010-2011
LeBron James shot 33.0% from 3 point land
Kobe Bryant shot 32.3% from 3 point land

Who's more clutch?
This argument has been blurred repeatedly by analysts and fanboys. There is no true winner here.

In the playoffs clutch game on the line shot attempts:
Kobe Bryant 7-25 for 28% shooting
LeBron James 5-12 for 41.7% shooting

Regular season clutch game on the line shot attempts:
LeBron James 23-69 for 33.3% shooting
Kobe Bryant 36-115 for 31.3% shooting

Who's more clutch?
What about the last 5 minutes of 4th quarters in close games? (thanks 82games)

10-11
Per 48 minutes of clutch time:
LeBron James 45.1pts 11.2reb 5.9ast .7blk 1.4stl 43.6%fg
Kobe Bryant: 49.8pts 8.5reb 7.6ast .3blk 1.8stl 40.2%fg

09-10
LeBron James: 66.1pts 15.9reb 8.3ast 3.2blk 3.2stl 48.8%fg
Kobe Bryant: 51.2pts 9.0reb 5.3ast 0.0blk 1.8stl 44.4%fg

08-09
LeBron: 55.9pts 14.3reb 12.6ast 1.7blk 3.5stl 56.5%fg
Kobe Bryant: 56.7pts 8.4reb 5.7ast 0.0blk 1.0stl 45.7%fg

07-08
LeBron James 56.0pts 9.6reb 8.2ast 2.2blk 2.9stl 47.5%fg
Kobe Bryant 51.8pts 8.1reb 6.0ast .7blk .4stl 44.8%fg

Both Kobe and LeBron were inaccurate players in the last 5 minutes of close games this past season, there are no clear cut "winners" in this argument, just mythical rhetoric.

Kobe Bryant is 0-5 in his last 4 game winning playoff attempts.

So as you can see, comparing players based on "rings" can be very misleading.

While Kobe may still have a better legacy than LeBron which has come from his talent, but also being in the league twice as long, but to deny that LeBron James has passed up Kobe Bryant as an actual player is misleading, and false.

Peter says:
6/29/2013 at 4:06:20 AM
hi Matthew
All star games are 4 fun and aren't serious competition. LeBron has 4 MVPS KOBE has one as well. THE KING IS DOIN HIS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew says:
6/29/2013 at 4:39:30 AM
for an example Lebron got drafted to Cleveland where he was a starter almost instantly whereas Kobe went to the Lakers where they had players who were great keeping him on the bench( he was just out of high school) Kobe only led his team at 29 because they are the lakers it is very hard to be the captain of that team whereas Lebron led Cleveland at 22 well... because they are cleveland the cavs are not good.Lebron then went to the heat where he had great team mates like DWade and Chris Bosh whereas the lakers got horrible except for Kobe leading to make him have to rush shots shoot with a guy in the face that sort of thing whereas Lebron was given free reign of the court Kobe is the modern Michael Lebron is the modern Bird he is greatr but he is no Michael or Kobe

Matthew says:
6/29/2013 at 4:40:20 AM
Bird had some better stats and trophies but on the court he was not compared to Michael same with Lebron and Kobe

Peter says:
6/29/2013 at 4:43:00 AM
This video has made me agree with Ken. MJ is the best and LeBrons second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueNfQ2puaw8

Matthew says:
6/29/2013 at 4:52:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ma3YpyuuxE

even the greatest says Kobe is better

Ken says:
6/29/2013 at 7:41:34 AM
Matt - Peter ......

You two guys argue like you are brothers LOL
I saw all the posts from Breakthrough and thought, I might have a busy day. Do I have to come there and get between you two so there is no fighting??? LOL

Thats the great thing about freedoms, we can have our own opinion and feel free to express it. You two guys are funny, I love listening to you.

When it comes to stuff like this, we will have to agree to disagree, just as long as you understand that you are or at least WERE both wrong... and that Michael is the best that ever played the game.

Lebron can defend any position, from PG to a C.... and IF the guy ever figures it out, he could become unstoppabpe. 6'7 - 255? Come on, he is a beast. He has a lot of skills but there are times he doesn't know what to do with them. How oftern do you see him post up? If you guys were that size I bet that NO ONE would stop you going to the basket,
(Dream on Matt) When the game is on the line and he is at the free throw line, he cant throw the ball in the ocean from the shore.

Kobe has or had a ton of skills, great shooter and he was a lot like Mike, he loved taking game winners. Michael loved being in the spoltlight that way, you don't always make them... its more about the desire and confidence that you CAN!! It took Kobe a little while but he also became a gamer.

Niw, if you watch clips of M J ... he wasn't afraid of ANYONE..... he would DUNK over anyone or make some great move like changing hands for a left handed lay up... I think that it was against the Lakers??

Larry Bird was the great white hope and typically he was the last guy off the practice floor. No one gets to the NBA unless they have some great skills....... and they got there because they WORKED at their GAME.

So, look at the things these guys are best at and try to incorporate some of it into your game. Work / practice hard and try to be the best that Matt & Peter can be, but above all, be fundamentally sound!

When I got my first (and only btw) I became the Head sophoomre coach in my second year...... other coaches would tell me that my kids were always prepared to play the game and were fundamentally sound. Part of that was because I kept good kids ( I think you both are too ) Their personalities became somewhat like mine..... hard working, did not like to lose and had a never give up attitude.
I had some kids your size on my team Matt, so think about this.... you cant measure heart.
Thats what counts when the game is on the line. I could give you a bunch of stories about kids your size and a lot of funny stuff too.

There is so much to learn about this game, I think one of the most important things is how to get open with and without the ball..... I love to see a GREAT change of pace / CROSSOVER the lets the defender trying to get up off the floor. That would be a great thing for both of you to learn.

So, I hope that I can give you some ideas as to improving your skills and having a lot of confidence. NOW, NO MORE fighting boys LOL. :-)

Peter says:
7/1/2013 at 2:14:58 AM
Hi guys
I agree with you guys there's nothin wrong with SHORTIES their are a bunch of SHORT guys in the NBA (SOME OF THEM I'M EVEN TALLER THEN) e.g Nate Robinson, Isiah Thomas (KINGS one not PISTONS), Mugsy Bouges, Earl Boykins and Spud Webb. The one thing they have in common is they all have HEART more HEART then most average NBA players. My little BROTHER is a SHORT 11 year old but DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!! can he SHOOT.

Matthew MJ never said KOBE'S a better player he just said he's a better winner. Trust me this video shows LeBron (the PLAYER) OWNING KOBE (the PLAYER.) This video was made before he went to Miami and they had only played a few games against each other (KEN you should watch it 2).You better watch it all cause it is the truth LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jUPtfJjwX4

Ken says:
7/1/2013 at 7:14:00 AM
Peter -

Like I said, you cant measure heart, that's what counts and that is why MJ is / was better than Kobe or Lebron. He willed his team to win and he HATED to lose.

Matt / Peter - look up Dr J ....( Julius Erving ) He was the same kind of player that MJ was.... MJ just took it to a whole new level, something that Kobe or Lebron will ever do... IMO (in my opinion)

A BETTER WINNER? Do you want a better player or better winner ( MJ ) I will take the guy that brings home the trophy any day MJ!!! Sorry guys, I will never admit that either one of those two guys are better than MJ. LOL I am a stubborn ole coot LOL Ask my players.

A short 11 year old that can shoot, MY KIND of kid/player. I hope both you guys can shoot it because there isn't a team around that cant use shooters!!!

Matt, don't worry about size right now, you WILL get taller. I am out of town right now and this computer wont allow that link, so, when I get home I will look at it..... and my neighbors just e mailed me, somebody ran into my house... wha t the heck????? By the way, I will send a link that you guys can watch, the point guard was 5' tall as a freshman, we played the #8 team in the state...... What a great coaching job LOL... we shot 9/10 from the arc and 20/25 from the FT line... that kind of shooting will win you a lot of games.

Have fun guys and work on your game.

Peter says:
7/3/2013 at 3:55:45 AM
Hi Ken
I know all about Dr J he did things that i reckon MJ can't do such as the out of bounds lay up, won first dunk contest too there would be know MJ without him.
I have made it a priority do know about players who were before my time such as The Big O Oscar Robertson (he had a streak of triple doubles for a whole season),Pistol Pete Maravich (the American Ricky Rubio but better),Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon (who invented the dream shake),SHAQ (who was the modern day WILT and HELPED KOBE win CHAMPIONSHIPS),Bill Russell (Inventor of the block),BOB COUSY ( first ever FLASH passer) , LARRY BIRD (told his competitors he'd win the 3 point contest and did) , MAGIC JOHNSON (THE 6'9 POINT GUARD) and KAREEM ABDUL JABBAR (SKY HOOK MASTER) etc.
LOADS OF RESPECT TO ALL THOSE PLAYERS AND THE ONES I COULDN'T FIT IN. I have taken a few moves from each one of those players.

Ken says:
7/3/2013 at 7:02:34 AM
Hi Peter -

I see that you DO know a lot of players... funny one, the American Ricky Rubio.... I saw several you tube shots of this guy when he was younger... he is something else. Too bad he got injured, I hope he comes back 100%

Playing in the NBA is a little different from over there... he will have to step up his game some more, but he could play for me anytime.

Nice to have some moves from the best... let me know when you can do that flying dunk from the free throw line like MJ LOL
My best advice for you and Matt..... be the BEST that YOU can be.

I hope all is well there.

Peter says:
7/4/2013 at 3:28:30 AM
All is well Matthew's comin over for the weekend and we'll get that 1 on 1 video you wanted. I'll probably win because i'm taller we play 2 0n 1 at school Matt and someone else vs me it's fun. I'm the better player but i wouldn't underestimate MATT he's pretty good. I'll get you that video. Hows life over in the STATES.

Ken says:
7/4/2013 at 8:33:20 AM
Hi Peter -

Happy 4th of July ( IF you celebrate that over there ) oh yea, thats one of our holidays.

Thats great, I will get a chance to see you two guys playing... take some individual shots of both of you shooting... that way I will have a better idea of how and what you are doing.

Better and taller, a good combination. Matt admitted to me that you were better. I told him that when he plays taller guys to be like a knat ( which is a little bug that just aggravates people )

Life is good here except for the idiot that ran into my house when I was out of town, took out a window in my family room along with most of the lower part of the wall. oh well, no one was hurt so I guess thats a good thing.

How are things in NZ? You 2 staying out of trouble? By the way, how are you doing in school? That is very important as I am sure you both know.

Ken says:
7/4/2013 at 8:34:13 AM
By the way, did you get the link to the game that I sent?

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 20:41 

Hi Ken I guess our TOPICS are SO important that they gave us our own page LOL. Schools FINE (and BORING) I'm stayin out of trouble (most of the time JK) don't know about Matthew he's probably a BAD BOY LOL. I got the link OSBORNE HIGH SCHOOL AYE i thought you were a AAU coach 99 to 42 WHAT A BLOW OUT your from CHICAGO 2 the windy city LOL. I won't be able to send a 1 0n 1 against MATT (I FORGOT) SOZ but i'll send you a PETER shoot around OK. We don't celebrate 4th of JULY LOL but we know about it. How did your HIGH SCHOOL SEASON go?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2013, 07:34 

Hi Peter -

Not so sure how important they are - maybe we were taking up too much space on the topic? LOL We do talk about a lot of different things and thats ok..... NOW, as for SCHOOL.... I hope you know how important that is to your future. No one can take your education away from you and EDUCATION is the thing that will make you successful is this world.
Trust me, from a guy that didn't get his act together until he was 32. What you need is a goal... what do you want to do with your life? Once you decide that, you will see how important school is and it wont be so boring. :-) Sound just like a teacher don't I? LOL I don't think that either one of you are bad boys LOL

That link from Osborne, thats not my school, a friend of mine put it on his site..... I coached at a high school, 8 years as a Sophomore coach and 16 as the Head Boys basketball coach... a couple of other teams there too along the way, 27 years total at the HS level and 13 at a grammar school.... 6-8th graders.... and volunteeered a couple of years after I retired..... 42-43 years or so. I am retired now. :-) So no more coaching. I'd probably have a stroke or something... as you saw, I was pretty "ACTIVE" while I coached.

Are you sure you watched the right game? I didn't think we scored 99 points..... I know we didn't. But we did handle them pretty well. YOU FORGOT? Sheesshhh! Some kids today LOL I hope you are guys are working on your game. Every team needs shooters and guys that are willing to play tough defense.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2013, 17:23 

Matt & Peter -

Were you close to the Earthquake? Hope all is well over there. How is your game going?

Think about a pull back / crossover move - QUICK first step.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2013, 01:47 

Hi Ken
The earthquake was far away from the little town i live in (INTERESTING THAT U HEAR ABOUT LITTLE NEW ZEALAND OVER THERE THOUGH). My game is going GREAT i'm extending my RANGE and playin a lot of HORSE with my little BRO (i always win). No school for a while so i hav loads of time to work on my game. Ken watch this video it's an interview with KG the guy in the background looks just like u. http://watch.nba.com/nba/video/channels/allstar/2013/02/16/20130216-all-star-kevin-garnett-interview.nba?cat=catId%3A44&p=10

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2013, 08:13 

It was all over the news here.... so, while your town is small... NS isn't. I grew up in a VERY small town, nothing was happening until I got to HS. Glad to hear you guys are safe. Beating your little brother at HORSE,,,, you BIG BULLY LOL Be careful, one of these days he will stomp you haha

Keep working on your game and shooting, ballhandling etc.

I clicked that link and KG didn't show... is it me????

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 16:10 

He looked just like u so i think it was. Ken is it good to be a fancy player if it works. Because i just love doin the fancy passes and layups but i think it might become a bad habit. How was D Rose treated during playoffs when he didn't play.
I love blocking shots but i'm wondering how often should i go for steals i have great man to man d as well.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 17:20 

I should be so lucky Peter.

I wouldn't worry about being fancy... not right now... I would worry about being GOOD. Think about this.... how good would you look if you made some fancy pass and you threw it out of bounds ot it was stolen. Be fundamentally sound.... you can do look off passes... look away from your target and fake a pass, then make a good pass. Akways better to make the sure pass than one that doesn't have much of a chance to be successful. As a coach, looking at a freshman / 14 year old..OR 8th grader.... I think I would be turned off by someone trying to be fancy.... JMO

I think the Bulls made a big mistake.... IF they knew that he wasn't going to play in the playoffs, they should have come right out and said so. Even if they weren't sure. From what I could see (and read in the papers) his teammates didn't have a problem with him. The papers were talking about how good he was in practice.... but practice is one thing...in the pro game it gets pretty physical, so why take a chance. I didn't have a problem and I think that guys that know the game understood too. Talk radio kept going on and on about it.... I guess thats what they get paid for.

Blocking shots is one thing... but for every block, how many fouls do you pick up? Might be better just to challenge the shooter and make him adjust the shot? They don't IF you are trying for the block or not.... but, once you leave your feet for a block, you cant play much D can you?

Steals are pretty much the same way.... ON the ball, every time you reach, your feet stop.... cant play D standing still, not to mention a foul? Pick your spots for steals....you will be a lot more successful at it that way..

On the ball, look for the dribbler to put the ball out in front where you can deflect ot make the steal... flipping your hand up is a lot safer that swatting at the ball.... those get called for fouls? Know your opponent and what he likes to do.... that will give you a better chance for a steal. Moving on what we call AIR TIME... will give you a chance to steal a bad pass. (air time / as soon as the ball leaves the passers hands)

I always liked the idea of kids that could play GREAT D.... you saw the game film... you know how hard we worked on it. Keep working on that part of your game too.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 01:14 

Hi Ken
Thank u so much 4 helping me i truly appreciate your help you are a genius when it comes to basketball. Thanks Ken.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 06:39 

A genius huh..... no wonder I like you. :-) I don't know about the genius part but the gray hair I have tells you that I have a lot of esperiences.... some good and some bad. We all make mistakes in Bball and life. The KEY is learning from them.

Most of my teams had average or just above average talent.... we handled the ball well and shot pretty good. That can win a lot games. One night there were two Hall of Fame High School coaches in the stands... my cousin was sitting by them and he overheard them saying.... " It's a good thing that Ken and Rick don't get a lot of talent or all the coaches around here would be in a lot of trouble." That is one of the best compliments I ever got and now you call me a genius. Thanks Peter

I love helping kids out and coaches as well... it gives me a chance to give back to the game I like so much.
Jeff & Joe are also very intelligent about the game... they put this site together and it is one of the best online. There are several good sites out there and this is one of the best.

If you have questions, keep asking, you have some problems, I will be more than happy to try and help you out... after all, you don't want Matt beating you, right? LOL By the way, how is he doing?

Remember, keep your game fundamentally sound, be like a sponge and absorb as much as you can.