All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 13:35 

I'm a 6ft 2in 160 lb freshman. I have been playing against bigger upperclassmen and have been having trouble scoring against them in the post. They are much stronger but most of the time I am quicker. Any tips?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 11:56 

Backwards bear crawls to get those muscles going (up some stairs is even better).

Would help to know what happens when you try and score? Are they denying? Are you getting blocked?

On a side note: one drill I like for post players is the two ball Mikan drill. Ball in each hand, going right and left just like regular Mikan, however, you must catch ball without letting it touch your body after the shot. Can't drop either ball as you're doing this drill. Two ball Mikan reverse is also good.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 08:54 

If you are quicker, use that to your advantage... a good head and ball fake and then a drop step move tp the basket, then you need a counter to that move..

Jeff or Joe had that move on another post, I will see if I can find it or hopeully they will see this and put it on here.

Here they are

Drop step -

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/drop-step.html

Counter move -

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/drop-step-counter.html

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 16:55 

I think my problem might be that when I get position I am not able to hold it. They will push me out of where I want to be. Do you have any tips for getting position? And once I do get the ball where I want to have it I get "out muscled."

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 18:48 

John -

They talk about sitting on pressure. Typically the D tries to push you out with their knees... sit on them.... IF they are that much stronger than you ... you will have a problem until you gain some weight and get stronger...... you might try stepping out from the post far enough to let you use your quickness and moves.

If you are a 6'2 freshamn playing against bigger, stronger uppper classman, You ARE going to have a problem for awhile.... don't let that put you in a funk... keep working at your game.. they ARE going to make you a better player IF you will just keep a good attitude.

Be patient with yourself... Michael Jordon got cut from his sophomore team and look where he landed. :-)

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 08:02 

I will keep working and getting better. Thanks Coach!

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 17:57 

Hang in there and be patient with yourself..... you WILL get bigger and stronger... then you can have your way with other players. You are a pretty big kid for a freshamn.... and you are playing against upper classman.... you should thank them because they ARE going to make you a BETTER player..... because you will have to work harder at your game... but make sure that you have a little fun along the way.

Remember this.... every player has his weaknesses.... look for them and then try to attack that part of thier game... I bet they like to block your shot...... head and ball fake and take it at them.... just one idea. Work on one good move like a drop step and a counter for it. That way when school starts you will be ready.

Good luck and let us know how its going.