All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 12:16 

It has been a long time since I've been a part of this forum. But I would like to show you all a new video project I'm working on to document the workouts my friends and I are doing during the summer.
Here is the introduction to the series, check it out! Any feedback would be much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvZ_VCtrMaY

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 18:51 

Hey Ben -

It HAS been a long time since you've been on this site. Glad to see you back.

I like the idea for your workouts... it sends the message to players that they need to identify their strengths and weakenesses. That way they know what the need to work on. Good introduction - you have received some replies/comments on you tube alread so you are already reaching people.

As for yourself.... you are right, there isn't anything you can do about your height, but 5'8 as a junior isn't all that small. I had several varsity point guards that were that size. ( You;ve grown about 8 inches since the last time you posted? )
You can work on making yourself stronger and putting on some weight, THAT you are in control of. How about your quickness? Thats very important as a PG

You say your shooting isn't very good? Last video I saw of you, I thought you shot pretty well. That is also something that you can work on and improve. Make a shooting practice plan and then go to work on it. What are your shooting %s... inside the arc / FTs / 3 pointers? (then set a goal for each one of those) You can also work on getting your shot off quicker.

As a PG you need to have great handles, get the team into your offense and be quick..... play great defense, since you will probably be covering the other teams PG. FT% should be in the mid 70s... I like t o shoot high.... and 80s as a senior... I Know, dreaming for some players.

Good luck with this and keep us posted as you move forward with the program.

Coach Sar

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 13:44 

Hey Coach Sar,
Thanks for the feedback. We have been doing SAQ drills during our workouts so my quickness has been increasiing during the workouts. As for weight training we have a weight training program at school during the summer and before the season starts so I've got that covered. And have gained 5 pounds since the end of the season.

For shooting, I would say I shoot around 50% inside the arc, 75-80% free throws and 30-40% 3 point line, my three point shooting is definitely the point in my game that I need the most work on. My goals would be 60% inside the arc, 85% FT shooting and 45-50% 3 pt. shooting.

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 14:24 

Hey Ben -

It seems like you are on the right track, working on the right things/

I like your goals for shooting, a little lofty, but better to shoot high and be just a little bit lower than to start lower and be lower yet.

I think that you shoot very well from the FT line and pretty good from inside the arc..... I think that your 3 point shooting could use a little work for sure 45-50% should give you the green light from your coach. How are things going for you taking the ball to the basket? Have you worked on the "floater" at all? (see, I haven't forgotten what you wanted to do)

Keep working on your game, have fun doing it too. Don't make it a job. I take it that you are working out with some of your firends / players? That will make it more competitive for all of you.... pushing yourselves to get better.

Do you think you have a shot at starting next year? Good luck and keep shooting. There is ALWAYS a place for GOOD SHOOTERS./ AND IF you are a good PG, you are on top for your team. Good luck.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 21:16 

Hey Coach Sar,

Yeah I try to set high goals for myself haha. I definitely have been working on my floater and I would say that I'm pretty good at it and utilize during games. At the beginning of the season I started on the varsity team this past season but went through a rough patch during the middle of the season and lost my job. But became the solid 6th man at the end of the season. So I believe next year I have a good chance at a starting job, but I definitely need to improve,

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 14:51 

Hey Ben -

Being the 6th man is as important as starting... a lot of players go through tough times.... shake that off, work on your game and get your job back next year. Look at it this way... ITS YOUR JOB.... and you aren't going to let anyone take it away from you now.

Keep working on your game, you know what the problem areas are...set your goals and correct the problems. I was wondering how you were doing in high school... but you got lost is space somewhere LOL So let me know how things are going this summer and once tghe season starts, stay in touch. I always thought that you were a darn good shooter for a 12 year old... and you certainly didn't get any worse. :-)