All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 01:50 

Hi, I am 15 years old and 6'1" and I can just barely dunk. I was wondering what drills I should use or how I should lift to increase my vertical. My vertical is around 30" and I seriously want to improve that. Also, I would like to improve my foot quickness so that I can become an even better defender. I love defense and I love when I shut people down. I am a Boston Celtics fan and I watch Avery Bradley often enough to know how to defend. Any drills for that?

Thank You,
Kevin

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 08:48 

Hi Kevin ( we meet again ) :-)

I know that everyone wants to dunk, but let me ask you this.... how many dunks do you see in your high school team, games??? I will take a GREAT 3 point shooter any day.... of course I would say that, my teams were typically shorter that most other teams, but we could shoot it! Keep working on your shot... and I'm glad that you want to be a great defender.... not a lot of kids will say that... Take a look at this video.... its a great workout, you migh have to change it a bit to fit your needs...

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVz2L4KJYk

Let me know what you think of this workout.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 14:27 

I rarely see anyone in High school dunk and that is the same reason why I would like to better myself in that area. Also, I am a good 3pt shooter. I pride myself on my post defense, man to man, PnR defense and well just overall team defense. I am getting a 60 pound weighted vest to workout in so I could be more challenged . As you can see, I love the game of basketball and will do anything to better myself.
Are you a High school coach, if so what state are you in because where I go we are a football school, not a basketball school. The team barely ever gets wins. I dislike the coaching staff because they will not play the best players. That is why I dont play on the team. I have heard that AAU is good. What is your opinion of it? Should I consider it?

Thank You,
Kevin

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 15:48 

Kevin -

I am a retired high school coach right now..... coached for over 40 years. I coached in Illinois..... Forget the dunk and make yourself a GREAT shooter and defender. If the opportunity for a dunk comes along, then go for it..... otherwise, be a great shooter.

IF you are dead set against playing at your high school ( which I am not sure that is a good idea, ...... but I am not there ) because you can learn things from every coach you play for , so learning fundamentals and getting and playing time at all would be good..... IF you feel that this is not an option.... then the AAU is your best bet. There are good AAU coaches and there are bad ones. Do some research on the AAU teams in your area and pick out a good one with some coaches that will teach more fundamentals while you get some playing time,.

Good luck, I hope that you can find a good team to play for.