All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 17:04 

What's up guys !

My coach and close friends always tell me I play Pre determined, they say they can tell what I'm going to do and when I'm going to do it , if I make one move I'm so committed to it that I don't make a counter move or something . I'm tired of hearing it and I don't know how to fix it . Everyone just says play the game but it just wont click . How can I stop playing Predetermined and how I stop making Pre determined moves .

Thank you and I appreciate the help

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 17:49 

Everyone has a GO TO move..... Don Kelbick says that even the pros have maybe TWO go to moves.... so, you have one already :-) This is something that you are comfortable with and thats fine.... I would suggest that you learn a counter to that move.

Go to your coach and ask him to teach / show you a counter to your favorite move and then work on it... so that when someone takes away your favorite move, you use the counter and burn him.

Everyone talks a good game... tell them / ask them to show / teach you another GOOD one or a COUNTER to the one you use.

What is your favorite move by the way?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 18:37 

My favorite move is the in and out and the counter for that is to crossover if they don't bite , I have a lot of counter moves in my head but it doesn't click to me to use in the game . Its like if I make one move I'm always committed to it and I never play of the defenses reaction .

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 18:49 

Then try this... work on that counter move in practice.... use it exclusively... see how that works out and let us know.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 19:10 

I think a lot of players make "predetermined moves" because that's what works for them. It's their comfort zone. Good defensive players can force you out of your comfort zone on offense. Playing against some really good defensive players 1 v 1 would probably force you to try new moves.

You could also try playing "predetermined" with different moves than your usual. In other words, determine to try a few new moves in practice you normally wouldn't do. Practice is a great time to try new things without the pressure of a game.

What do you think? Is it a fear of making a mistake or more of a mental block when out on the court? Are your proficient dribbling and making shots around the basket with both hands?