All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 07:07 

Hey guys. Something like this has probably been asked already, but I thought I'll just go ahead and ask...

I'm a 7ft guy, 19 years old and I live in the UK at the moment. I'm currently studying at a University here getting my Bachelor's degree and basically I had an idea to move to the States once I finish this BA degree and join some college to continue with the education and get a Masters degree. Now that is not the only reason why I'm considering it, another reason and probably the main reason is that I'd be able to tryout for the college basketball team. After doing some research I found UCF, which offers the exact kind of Masters degree course that I was looking for AND they have a basketball team that plays in the Div. 1 NCAA.

What I'm worried about is the fact that even though I'm a 7footer, I don't really have that much experience in playing time, I've been playing basketball mostly as a hobby for many many years, but the actual "professional" (if you could call it that) training I had was back when I was still in Secondary school and played for the team. Since then it was just pick-up games, individual practice outdoors etc. But my knowledge of the game/center position is okay, as I said it's been my hobby for many years, I'm constantly out practising on my own, I have a decent jump shot and I watch a lot of NBA/ Europe games.

So basically, do I have any chance of making it to the UCF knights or some other college basketball team through try-outs? I still have 2-3 years left at my current university which means that I can still work hard for 2-3 years. I spent the whole summer working out and had about 130 hours of individual basketball practice as well through out those few months of the summer holidays (that's about 7-10 hours a week), and I am willing to continue working hard through out the academic year too. I can join and train with/ play for the university team (it's not to compare to college basketball in the States, but I guess it would be a great way to get some playing time and gain more experience etc). Also, would you have any advice for me? Thing is, I really want to give this a shot, because I love the game and I don't want this height to go to waste, I'm just not sure if it's realistic or would it simply be a waste of time and money.

Thanks, Ed :)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 08:15 

Ed -

I could be wrong here but I THINK that you have 4 years of elibility once you enter college? Why don't you talk to your college counselor and find out just to be sure. If you have 2-3 years left on your Bachelors degree, I would think that you would need to make this move now. JMO Do they have a team at the university you are attending? I would think that the coach would be all over you.

SEVEN FOOTER? I would think that someone would want to take a look at you, height is one thing you cant teach. :-)

Here is something I found on line - not sure it answers your question but - ( Maybe Jeff and Joe can help out here too )

http://www.petersons.com/college-search/sports-college-ncaa-eligibility.aspx

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 09:15 

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm not exactly sure how it all works, but I'm pretty sure the Masters degree course I would be doing is 2 years long, so that means I would only be able to play there for 2 years right? Or am I wrong? Anyway I'll be sure to contact and talk to the college counselor later about it, as you suggested.

The university I'm attending does have a team, and you are right, the coach was all over me haha! I think the tallest player on that team is 6ft7 or 6ft8, so they needed a big man like me. I was actually planning to train and play for them last year (my 1st year at the university), and after talking to the coach he put me on the team right away without even me having to go through the try-outs. How ever I hurt my hand right at the start and had to skip around 3 weeks of training and then we received all the coursework from the university and I was basically not prepared for the amount of course work we had to do so I had no time/ energy left for basketball. Also since basketball is not very popular here in the UK and studies+sports aren't balanced very well, I decided to just focus on my course work and not risk failing the course, and maybe give basketball another shot once I'm used to the coursework and all that (2nd, 3rd, 4th year).

Hehe you're right about the height, you can't teach it and I personally NEVER met anyone as tall or taller than me haha, that's why I really don't want it to go to waste.

Thanks again! :)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 09:48 

I think you have 4 years (total) of eligibility to play college ball, but that is something you should check with counselor about. IF you don't have any eligibility left, go ahead and play where you are at. Otherwise - find a way to play here in the states. But some college coach will have to make an offer to you.

Good luck, let us know how this goes.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 07:26 

Here is a thought from Jeff -

I read through it and didn't really have anything to add. Other than maybe posting video of him playing and we can tell him if he has a chance or not. If he can't run or catch, then he will have trouble even at 7 ft
]But if he can run, move, has some mobility, and can catch a little bit... college coaches will be all over him.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 16:00 

I measured my height again today and it's actually around 6ft10 and a half or 6ft11 with no shoes on (if I measured it right), a bit disappointed haha, I always thought I was 7ft on the dot :S

Anyway, thanks! I don't have any videos right now but I'll continue working and if I ever get the chance to record myself play then I'll be sure to do it and I will post it here.

Thanks a lot guys!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 16:09 

Look at it this way, you don't play without your shoes so measuring yourself with shoes on is the way to go! :-)

Playing college ball does take up a lot of time, I had a few kids either not play or stop playing after their freshman year because of that. You have to really love it #1 and #2, they need to give you a scholarship.

Good luck, IF you get a chance, try and play, its a once in a lifetime experience.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 16:25 

Hehe true! And thanks. I was planning on just saving up the money and applying for the course + paying the tuition fees myself, would that still be fine or do I really need the scholarship?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 17:33 

It would be a lot nicer IF they paid the tuition, right? Does it have to be a D1 school? What is your major?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 18:19 

Hehe indeed it would. The major is in games art, I'm an artist. It doesn't have to be a D1 school, but I really like the course UCF offers, it's pretty much exactly what I want. I'll have to search around for more schools..