All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 19:31 

Hello, I'm a 13 year old 5'1 PG from a D5 Ohio school, I'm in the 7th grade and the 2nd string PG. And I made a workout routine so I can get better so I can get that starting position. Here's a routine I typed up last night. Please tell me things I should add or remove from the list. Thanks for your time and please respond.

Stretch Out
30 Second Ball Wraps(both directions, and around
Stationary Dribbling Drills
Side to Side Dribble Moves(Behind the Back, Crossover, Between Legs, etc.)
25 Two Foot and One Foot Mikan Layups
20 Two Foot and One Foot Reverse Mikan Layups
20 X Layups(overhand)
10 X Layups(underhand)
Form Shooting(five shots at each spot 3ft leading up to 15 feet out)
Catch and Shoot (10 shots per spot)
Square Up And Drive(5 shots per spot)
20 Free Throws( 1 miss= 1 full speed, full court jumpshot sprints)
Around the World Speed Shooting(3 shots per spot, 1 miss= 1 full speed, full court jumpshot sprints)'
Shoot Off Dribble(full speed)
Spot Up(10 shots each spot)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 07:19 

Daniel -

I can see that you have given this a lot of thought... and its a great plan. Think about your strengths and weaknesses and IF you can see a couple of things that need more work, don't be afraid to adjust the plan.

How often are you going to do this? I might suggest getting someone you can partner up with.. its always more fun if there is someone else doing this with you. Especially when it comes to shooting.

After a couple of weeks you could shorten this part of your work out IF you can do them comfortably.... IF not, stay with it until you do.
25 Two Foot and One Foot Mikan Layups
20 Two Foot and One Foot Reverse Mikan Layups
20 X Layups(overhand)
10 X Layups(underhand)

You can use this time for shooting and passing (if you have a partner) passing is an important skill for a pointt guard.
You might add a hard dribble and jump stop in the paint for a jumper. I wouldn't worry to much about sprintts after missed free throws... not with this workout.... and aside from that, I take it that this is all about next season..... you have plenty of time to get in shape... :-)

I love your drive and determination to achieve your goals. Let us know how this goes and if we can help.
I'm sure that a couple of the other coaches will have some input for you. Good luck.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 18:12 

Thanks for the response, I'll use your tips effectively,I'll do this routine like a 4 or 5 days a week. How many days should I do this routine?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 10:30 

I would think that 4=5 days a week would be fine... you dont want to burn yourself out... and while its a WORKOUT... you still want it to be fun. Again, try and find someone to work out with.

Try and find someplace where you can play some games too..... put what you practice into play.... good luck and have fun.