All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 12:16 

Got it.
Will start following the training plan tomorrow.
Thanks Coach.

,Chelton

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 12:33 

Hello,

As Coach said, it all looks good. What i personnaly don't see it footwork drills.
Positioning of the feet and foot-speed are equally important.

In other words, for each move or shot you intend to practice, there is a proper stance and foot work for each.
Remember, your body follows your feet, so a muscle memory exercise will enable you to always be in proper stance and positioning to execute the move, shot, etc.

Example: For positioning under the boards, setup an obstacle to represent a defender.
Practice sealing off the defender with your leg, then pointing your lead foot towards the basket.
Practice receiving the ball then turning into your move or shot.
Remember, if you feet are not in the "ready position" it takes longer to execute and easier for the defender to defend you.

Floor ladders are an excelent tool for both of these, as well as a great warm-up exercise to get the blood flowing.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012, 14:44 

Hey!
The season is about to start, and I want to update my workout plan to incorporate 2 Balls Drills. Here's what I came up with:

Monday
Ball Handling (All from Better Basketball: Better Handling)
2 Balls Stationary
2 Balls Straight Line
To improve Quickness, Changing Hands and Cupping

Shooting
Better Basketball Shooting Chart
Form Shooting
5 Spot Shooting

Other Drills
2 Up 2 Back
Chair Changes

Tuesday
2 Balls Stationary
2 Balls Changing Direction
To improve Quickness and Change Hands

Shooting
Form Shooting

Other Drills
Dribble Screens
Chair Pivot

Thursday
2 Balls Stationary
2 Balls Straight Line
To improve Fingertip Control, Handles and On the move dribbling

Shooting
Form Shooting
X Jump Shoots

Other Drills
Wing Combo
McHale Layups

Friday
2 Balls Stationary
2 Balls Changing Direction
To improve Fingertip Control and Handles

Shooting
Form Shooting

Other Drills
Splitting the edge
Chair Curl with 2 Chairs

-----
Will do Ganon's jump rope exercises (everyday)

Q: - Are the ball handling drills too many now or it is good like this ?
- Would it be OK to add some drills ? Or I even need to cut some of them ?
- On which day I should add passing drills (from Better basketball: better passing too) ? And what are other good passing drills?

Also, I just got Ganon Bakers "Dribble & Drive" and "How to Survive and Thrive as an Undersized" so I may change or add some drills from the videos.

What you think about it coaches? Comments and critiques more than welcome :)

- Chelton

EDIT: I'm focusing a lot on Ball handling as I play on the perimeter (mostly as a SG, and some times at PG). I would like to become a PG though.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 06:39 

Chelton -

A very comprehensive plan..... You still need to shoot every day - as for shooting 3s..... I don't know how comfortable you are out there... size and strength have a lot to do with this. Start with 25 then and see how it goes.. you can always increase the #s.

Once you get past form shooting and close range shooting... then you need to shoot at game speed.

You want to be a point guard so you can never work to much on your ball handling skills... includes dribbling and passing... and remember, you have to be able to see the floor and understand what the D is trying to do and where the open players are.

How are things going with your team?

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 13:36 

Hey Coach,

Will shoot every day then (if everything goes well). As for 3s shoot "decently" from out there... and as I was working on upper/lower body strength on the of season I'm even more comfortable shooting from long range. With that said, I'll start practicing my 3s too.

For shooting at game speed I can use the "2 Up 2 Back", "Dribble Screens", "Chair Pivot" and "Chair Curl" right ? ....Are there any additional drills that would be useful here ?

Oh, misunderstanding here Coach, you mean that I should reduce the ball handling/dribbling/passing drills or that even if I work more on these it will never be too much ?
The last point is my bigger concern... What other solutions would it have beside playing a lot (including 3v3, 2v2 , etc..)?... or is it the only one ?

As for the team... the training is going to start next week or later this week I think, so I cant say much to say about it:
We missed one of the key guys (3) as they went to college; this is one of the reasons why I have to push harder.
On the other side, we played some games/scrimmage during the off season, very few, but yeah... Although, out of the court we talk a lot and we have a very friendly relationship. The same happens with the coach.

- Chelton

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 14:24 

Working on all of your shots is important... as long as your form is good from the arc.... work on those too......

Those 4 drills should be fine... IF you get bored with those... look online for other drills.

What I meant about ball handling is... you can never be too good at this....

3 on 3 is a great way to learn the game... but take what you can get when it comes to the players that will play.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 12:29 

Thanks coach, once again!
Will start to follow the routine tomorrow.