All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 18:42 

well, I have a few questions about this topic. Lets say I want to do a movement dribbling workout (zig-zags with crossovers, full court stuff, etc) or a shooting workout. To warm up, I want to jump rope, so I am getting quicker at the same time. So what drills can I do to start out? Right now, I am not very good with a jump rope. When I am doing 2 foot jumps as fast as I possibly can, I can only go for about 8 seconds before I mess up. And I can barely even do lateral or vertical jumps with a jump rope? So what can I do to build up skill and comfort so I am able to do these drills. ( Also, I am doing these on grass, just so you guys know). If I do jump roping consistently, do I have to do plyometrics? I was thinking about getting this http://www.hoopsking.com/jump-rope-training-basketball-advanced-basketball-training.html what do you guys think?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 19:17 

I found this on the net Mikko -

Many believe that jumping rope is the best overall athletic conditioner. It is very benefitial to basketball players in that it aids greatly in their development of agility, hand-foot coordination, rhythm, and balance.

A jumprope program improves physical condition and develops strength, endurance, and stamina in the legs, which is so vital to the complete basketball player. The forearm, arm, and chest muscles are olso greatly affected by jumping rope.

Measuring the rope
The length of the rope is important and varies according to each individual’s height. To determine rope length, the player should stand in the middle of the loop of the rope with her feet together and stretch the ends of the rope to her armpits. Note hoaever, that a weighted rope requires a shorter length. Using the same technique, the handles of a weighted rope should stretch to just under the player’s chest.
Turning the rope
When turning the rope, the upper arms are held close to the body. The forearms are held down and out at a forty-five degree angle with the hands 20-25 centimeters from the hips. The hands and wrists should do most of the work in turning the rope, and should circumscribe a circle of 15 to 20 centimeters in diameter. The arm movement should be cut down as much as possible.
To start the rope in motion, the player places the loop of the rope behind her heels with her arms extended out in front. She brings her hands down and back for the first turn of the rope. She swings the rope over her head and then under both her feet. The jump should be just high enough for the rope to pass under her feet.
Jump rope terminology
– Single bounce: The player bounces only once to each turn of the rope, with both feet together.
– Heel-toe: The player bounces once to each turn of the rope, alternating her right and left feet so that the heel and toe of opposite feet make contact with the ground at the same time.
– Single speed bounce: The player performs single bounces at a rapid pace.
– One foot single bounce: The player bounces once to each turn of the rope, using only one foot at a time, alternating between her right and left feet. She counts and jumps once with her right foot and once with her left foot, then she counts and jumps twice with her right foot and twice with her left foot. The player continues this method of counting up to ten with each foot.
– Spread: The player moves her feet forward and backward alternately: the right foot forward and the left foot back on the first turn of the rope, and the left foot forward and the right foot back on the second turn of the rope, and so on.
– Straddle: The player starts with her feet together on the one count or on the first turn. She spreads her feet apart sideways 15 to 20 centimeters on the two count or the second turn, and she places her feet together on the three count or on the third turn, and so on.
– Straddle X: The player uses a single bounce on the first turn. On the second turn she crosses the right leg over the left leg, then she uncrosses her legs. On the third turn she crosses the left leg over the right leg, and so on.
– Crossover: The player bounces with her feet together on the first turn and on the second turn she crosses her arms at the elbows on the downward swing of the rope, jumping through the loop of the rope formed in front of her body. The player uncrosses her arms on the next downward swing of the rope. The crisscrossings are done with a bounce in between the crisscrosses, if so desired, and with the right and left arms alternating as the top arm of the crisscrosses.
– Double jump: The player makes a single bounce with her feet together while making two turns of the rope. She bends at the waist and speeds up the rope with wrist rotation.
– Speed single: The player makes a single bounce with one turn of the rope done at a fast pace.
– Alternate jump: The player runs in place while hitting one fast bounce for every tirn of the rope. She lands on the balls of her feet and flexes her lower leg to form a ninety degree angle with the back of her thigh. She may run in place with her knees up or down. Running with the knees up develops the quadriceps and running with the knees down works the hamstring muscles.
– Jump through the rope: The player doubles the rope and holds it taut at arm’s length, with her arms shoulder width apart. The player jumps forward through the rope, jusing a kangaroo jump (bringing her knees to her chest). There should be no rests or pauses between jumps.
– Triple turn: The player bounces high once and tries to turn the rope three times before the second bounce. She should concentrate on developing a higher jump and more rapid wrist action.
– Jump square: The player jumps in a pattern that circumscribes a square.
– Front and back: The player bounces with her feet together, alternating jumping forward and backward. She should concentrate on swinging her hips forward and backward as well.
– Side to side: The player bounces with her feet together and jumps from side to side. Again, she should concentrate on swinging her hips.
– Two right, two left: The player bounces once to each turn of the rope, twice on her right foot, then twice on her laft foot. She continues this pattern and constantly tries to increase her speed.
– Hula hoop: The player bounces through the rope on her first turn with her feet together. When the bounceis completed, she brings her hands together and swings the rope on the right side of her body as she bounces again. She moves her hends apart at the top of the swing and again bounces through the rope with her feet together. When this bounce is completed, she brings her hands together and swings the rope on the left side of her body as she bounces again. She continues this pattern as she builds speed and agility.

Variations
A possible jump rope routine could be based on ten or twenty repetitions of each type of jump. Players and coaches should feel free to develop their own routines. It is important to remember that jumping rope should become part of a daily training regimen used throughout the year. A good program utilizes a five- too ten-minut segment during the season and a ten- to twenty-minute routine in the off-season.

AND these two on You Tube:
Click here: YouTube - Jump Rope Exercises with Debbie Savage - Pose Jump Rope Drills

YouTube - Jump Rope Training - RossTraining.com

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 19:37 

thanks for that article coach! I also heard that when jumping for speed, the rope shouldn't touch the ground, and since I'm jumping on grass, I can't really let that happen to much either. I will use a few of the easier one's to get used to jumping rope for speed, but what do you think of that link of that DVD? please look at it. Do you think it would be good for me, since I want to get quicker and faster without dedicating a whole bunch of time to plyos and other stuff ( it says just 15 minutes a day, 3 times a week)

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 19:40 

I'm certainly not the expert in that area... I would remember one thing.... take care of your shin splints first... too much stress can only make them worse.

When you are feeling better, go slow at first until you can gain some endurance... then you can try to go faster and do different things to the rope...

Maybe one of the other coaches on this site can advise you about that Video or other sources to check on.

Good luck