All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 08:18 

To the staff at Breakthrough Basketball,

I have been wanting to dunk the ball for a while but I cannot seem to explode off the ground and develop that quick twitch muscle. I was hoping someone could recommend drill or set of drills for explosive jumping.

PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 10:54 

Jumping rope, running stairs, and using a progressively larger series of boxes to go from a two foot stop to jumping up on are all good drills that I have seen used to increase vertical jump.

I'm going to honestly caution you, though: Many young players take to looking at being able to dunk as pie in the sky. They pursue that goal at the expense of other more fundamental training that could make them a better basketball player.

You can work on your vertical jump as part of rounding out your overall athleticism. Just always keep in mind that your skills in shooting, ball-handling, and your knowledge of what is happening on the court (ie basketball IQ) are more important in the long run to your development as a player than just being able to dunk.

Those are my thoughts, and it doesn't make me correct.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 18 May 2016, 12:47 

Brian Sass,
Thank you for the drills! I totally agree with your take on overall-roundedness. I do have some trouble dribbling and doing ball handling skills whilst looking up. If you have any drills for that, that would be great!!