All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 13:48 

Over the summer I plan on working hard to make my high school basketball team. How many times a day do you recommend I train? And for how long?

Thank you. Your website has been a huge help and I will continue to use it.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 07:12 
Site Admin

All depends on your goals and what you want to improve on.

Generally speaking, if you can practice every day for at least one hour, that is great. However this is QUALITY practice, which most kids don't understand.

You should take days off for your body and mind to recover. Maybe make sure to always take Mondays off.

I would also find some time for a break during the summer. So you work real hard now that season is over. Maybe take e break in July or just slow down. Then pick things up again August working really hard so you peak during the season.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 18:45 

So what is an example of quality practice?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 18:52 

Quality practice means you are going hard. At game spped. Practicing game shots.

It means you are pushing your limits, which means you'll make mistakes and on occasion, look foolish.

That is the only way to work out. By stretching outside your comfort zone. I've seen lazy gym workouts where it looks like just shooting around at the YMCA. The special ones go hard at weaknesses and try to turn them into strengths.

They are also unsatisfied with strengths, trying to make each one better. That is quality practice.

About 500-1000 shot attempts. Ball handling. Conditioning. Strength training.

Hard work.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 22:07 

^ Great stuff right up there in that post.

I'll add two more: practice with a purpose and make it harder than it would be in a game.