All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 11:09 

Robert -

So tell me, why are you beating yourself up over this? Sounds like you are shooting well % wise and you don't have any real problems getting your shots off!

Relax a little bit, don't over think this to the point where you are doubting yourself. Have some FUN, its still a game. Having a good workout routine can be helpful, but it should be all about basketball. Do you have a trainer at your school? If so, ask for his advice - or go to the Head Coach and ask him.

Just remember to give your body a chance to recover from everything you are doing. Take a day off before tryouts start except for some shooting and you should be ready. JMO

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 13:42 

robert.s64 wrote:
Thanks a LOT. I have almost no problem geting my shot off because playing pg and shooting guard means i Have to dribble good, and i'd omit im a pretty good dribbler. Ive talked to my dad about my shot. He says its different but like yall said he can NORMALLY argue with the result. I love to do either a crossover or dribble then just step back and shhot or pop it in my face, and because of my shot, i normally don't get packed unless they are tall or im in the lane.

I love the crossover move , as for getting your shot blocked... its going to happen... but IF you pick your spots and get good looks, it will be few and far between.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 15:48 

thanks, really, and no we're not really a big highschool, but were getting there, right now theres no PERSONAL trainer... but the coaches (JV is a new guy) both played ball as a kid so they know what it takes, today in the weightroom i did almost max out everything... AND im not sore so i think i can take tryouts well, me and my dad literaly just got done talking about basketball i the car, he said," just pretend the coaches aren't there, play the game you know, play it right, and you'll be good" which i will do along with ALL the info im getting off of here. And idk if you are famillier with a 2 man 3 point compitions, a guy rebounds the other shoots at each 5 spots from 3, makeing it to advance, by 5 you and rebounder switch and he does same but opposite way, 2 teams, first done wins. Well i HATE realyyyy Hate a brager, but me and my partner won 8 straight today and it felt great, a few guys reasured me i should make the team but u never know
I keep having doubts about not really playing great, but messsing up, i hope the coach doesn't take a turnover or 2 too serious bc i love to pass the ball not "fancy" but in the best way possible and about every 19 made passes, 1 or 2is stollen, but anyway tryouts nxt week im pumped. Sorry if im bugging yall to much haha hey if you want me to i can like explain the "situation" the school and us are in, which doubles my chance of making the team, but once again thanks and it just feels better to get someone else to tell youn your can make it

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 17:25 

Don't worry about the size of your school, you can only play vs the guys they put on the floor against you.... and you can only try to do the best you can.... pretty simple.

I know a "little" bit about the game - I coached Bball for 42+ years and 16 as the head varsity coach.. Doesn't mean I know it all.... but I taught what I believed in and in a way that would give my players the best chance for them to be successful.

Don't worry about making mistakes.... baseball players make millions hitting .275 of .300.... which means they make mistakes 70% of the time....... just remember, their are 5 guys out on the court who are trying to stop your team too..... so stop worrying about messing up..... just play the darn game to the best of your ability!! the key is to execute your coaches game plan and philosophy, everybody has to be on the same page.

It doesn't sound like you are hurting for confidence.... and your dad has given you some good advice - pay attention LOL

I don't know if you read the thread between Ben and I, which seemed to go on forever .... I think he was 12 or 13 when we started talking.... you will see that I will get sarcastic from time to time.... and another kid in high school said to me.... " Now I know where the "SAR" in SARCASTIC came from.... pretty funny.

Good luck during tryouts.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 17:37 

haha SAR. and yeah i'll listen to my dad, i read like that entire convo and i turned 14 Oct 2 so we were basically in the same position now but thanks a lot, this has really helped hey like before i haate bragging but well its my "dad" and well im proud of him, after his 8th grade season at 6"1 inch pg he played the last 6 games on hist highschool varsity team, which was th 60's so i guess you could do that... as a junior he had a lot of college invites for football, basketball, and baseball, and he was amazing in ALL 3, but mostl basketball, he had a summer camp invite that yr to the bulls, like the same yr that jordan was a rookie, so he COULDVE played with him, but he went to Vietnam and got sat at 19 but stayed in for 20+ yrs and never "played" ball again, but hey, i was addopted and here i am, to fulfill his legacy, and thanks about that good luck part, ill be sure to tell yall each day how it goes, okay

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 17:58 

6'1 as freshman!! I hated guys like that... I was 13 and only 4/ 11... fat chance I had.

You should be proud of your dad , he has done a lot for you. God Bless him for going over to that hell hole to protect the USA and help those people.

Again, good luck, give it your best shot..... leave it all on the floor.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 18:14 

haha me two, and thanks and well don't think that im spoiled and stuff bc im adopted hes hard on me and i work my but off before i can play ball and i have to have straight A's to play, even tho he barley managed a C+ haha, but yeah im thankful

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 18:24 

I don't think you are spoiled... at least not too much LOL

Just do the best you can, thats all anyone can ask of you. Set some goals for yourself.... both academically and athletically. That way it gives you something to shoot for.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 18:31 

[color=#40FF00]Yeah, well talk to ya tomorrow but ill be sure to tell you how i do wednesday - friday nxt week
[/color]
bye the way what was you # in basketball? i love 13 haha

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 05:23 

I was a better baseball / fast pitch 12 inch player than I was a basketball player. #24 I know, for you it was #13 on your roster and #1 in your heart. ( One of my younger players fed me that line )

I didn't develop a jump shot until I was a junior in high school... 15-16 when I started growing. I wasn't a great player but I could shoot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next