All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 06:56 

Hey, I’m an undersized guard with really good skills but at times my basketball IQ can be low. I also need to be in the best shape I can, is there any way that I can up my basketball IQ effectively as a point guard?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 08:15 
Site Admin

There are plenty of things you can do to improve your IQ...

For one, playing and watching helps. Watch college and NBA games. Start learning.

Next, find out what offense your team runs. Do research and learn about that offense. And learn about the cut/screens used. For example, if your offense uses a lot of ball screens, learn about ball screening by searching on google. Learn how to read them and space off the screens.

Next, ask your coach questions. Ask them about defense, offense, situations, and more. He or she will be glad to help you. Ask questions and be a sponge.

When practice you're decision making, use 1v1, 2v2 and other small sided games to practice. Bottom line is you must be put in game-like situations to get better at making decisions and improving IQ.

Last, use a simple decision process like this when you catch the ball:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/play.asp?id=8120

When use that same decision tree for our high school teams. First look to shoot on the catch... if you are open and in rhythm... take the shot. If you're not open and there's space (open driving lane), attack the basket. If the defense is in good help position, pass the ball! Simple.

Hope this helps.