All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 10:48 

I've been a very inconsistent shooter but usually have good form and I've been changing base on the things I read... until i found breakthrough basketball, My question is how do you hold the ball and which part of the palm fingers are in contact with the ball? can you draw a palm and then shade which part of the palm and hands are in contact with the ball, ...... 2nd question is ... where do you set the ball? the part which you hold the ball in front of your head how far is it how high...etc... can you draw this also side view... thanks

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 11:39 

Your shooting hand should be spread wide in the center of the ball. The basketball will rest on your fingers and finger pads, NOT your palm. There should be a little gap between ball and your palm.I tell young players to locate their fingertips in the grooves or channels in the basketball. This will give you added grip and control and assist in seeing the backspin of the ball after it is released.
The thumb should be at a 45 degree angle from the index finger.Elbow bent and in-line with toes, knee, wrist and ball.
The wrist should be cocked back enough so you can see wrinkles in your wrist.
The guide hand or balance hand (your other hand) should be on side of the ball. This hand stays back after the release. Your shooting hand only follows thru. Your shooting hand release should be high (elbow to ear). Your balance hand stays back and will look like a Karate chop after release. Keep your elbow in when shooting.
Wrist should be loose and floppy after release. Follow thru will have fingers pointing to hoop. Your follow thru should look like your are reaching high up on a shelf, reaching into a jar of cookies.
Your middle and ring finger tips are the last things to touch the ball as you release.

Gotta go!!

Good Luck!!

Practice practice practice!!

Coach A