All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 21:39 

Guys I'm a little bit confused on some basic shooting habits ! Follow thru vs following ur shot ! I am under the impression of staying with ur shot and holding ur follow thru ! Basically hold it tilt hits ! So thats kinda what i been teaching my son blake to do ! Then there is the follow ur own shot , which this yr Blake has a coach who stresses that and fusses at him saying he is to slow at following his on shot because of staying with the shot and holding that follow thru ! To me u can't do both! What am I missing ? Which is correct ? Where is the balance at in this teaching so it can be taught to him correctly? Just a little confused and in search of some coaches advice and philosophies ! Thanks guys

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 07:48 

I think thats all about the coaches philosophy..... as for me, I wanted my players to concentrate on making the shot. Stay fundamentally sound shooting and yes, hold the follow through until the shot goes in. ( you might ask that coach - in private - how he teaches shooting ) If he talks about holding the follow through that might put a doubt in his mind. I think that following your shot is old school philosophy ( I'm old so I know that haha )
This is just my opinion of course.

Lets see what Jeff and Joe and the rest of the coaches have to say regarding this.

IF Blake was shooting from the top of the key, would he want him to follow that shot? I don't think so, unless he wants to give the other team uncontested layups.

Again, this is MY philosophy... there is more than one way to skin a cat but I wanted my players shooting and concentrating on making the shot, there are 4 other players on the floor that can rebound, and if you are sound on balance.... I would say that you would send 3 to the boards.

I saw Blakes shot when he was 10, I don't think its gotten any worse LOL .... if it aint broke, don't fix it.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 08:36 
Site Admin

I believe when you teach shooting, you hold your follow through on every shot. I think that is important. That doesn't mean you have to hold the pose for three seconds and watch the ball hit the rim.

You hold it for a 1 count, then go after the ball. I would not give up on holding follow through or change the shot. Could he go after the ball a little sooner? Maybe. I think common sense will tell you that. I think players often know when they will miss and follow their shot for the anticipated miss.

I really think that Blake can do both. Jump, release the ball, land, continue holding the follow through for a split second, then once feet are firmly on the floor with good balance, go after the rebound!!!

I would not sacrifice holding a quick follow through, and landing in the same spot when you jump (one set of foot prints if you were in sand), to follow up for a rebound. This is just basic fundamentals that I would not stray from.

When you practice rebounding you emphasis following the shot. When you practice shooting, you emphasize holding follow through and landing in same spot. Players will figure out the happy medium with experience.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 08:46 

Coach sar , funny that u mention old school philosophy as to following ur shot ! This particular coach is old school , coached high school ball back in the mid to late 70's . Blakes shot over the past yr hasn't changed a whole lot , just his range has been able to expand out a cpl more feet ! I am also curious to jeff an others take on this ! I may ask the coach on the side his take on both the importance of the follow thru and filling ur shot ! Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 09:40 

I started coaching in the 60s and we were big on following the shot... the older I got the less important I felt that was.... what I wanted was someone to score... and if it took all of his concentration to do that, so be it. JMO

I hear from where Jeff is coming from... and like I said.. its all about a coaches philosophy. I take it Jeff, that you don't like the guy sitting there with his arm out watching his shot like MJ? LOL
I had one kid that followed his shot regardless of where he shot it from... TOP OF THE KEY.... we gave up a lot of lay ups until I got it into my point guards head that if he saw Keith ( 2 guard )
shooting the ball, he better get back regardless of where he was.

NIce to hear that he is getting some more range... by the time he hits 8th grade of the high school level he should be knocking down threes easily... as long as he keeps working on his form and not forcing things.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 14:49 

During practice I instruct my players to "hold until it hits" focusing on how important that follow is. I reinforce this during shooting drills and free throws.....only during practice.
During the game is slightly different, they will hold it a little shorter to follow their shot and be in a position to get their own rebound. Nobody on the court has a better idea on where the rebound is going to go than the shooter.
Game free throws, where proper form and follow thru are important, I still tell my players, "hold until it hits".....why risk a lane violation.