All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 14:58 

Have noticed Blake is alot better shooting off the dribble going to his left than right ! Seems be more vertical and squared going left ! Right he seems to fade or drift ! Is this common and Any suggestions on how to teach him to break the habit on that shot

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 05:27 
Site Admin

It all comes down to proper footwork. I'm not sure how to explain this in text. We teach this to players in the gym all the time.

If you are dribbling to the right (with right hand) you plant your left foot, front pivot, and go up into your shot.

If you dribble to the left, you plant your right foot, front pivot, and go up into your shot.

No matter which direction you go, your feet are positioned the same (for example, it could be: left foot two inches ahead of right foot, shoulder width, pointing to right side of rim).

If the pivot foot is planted properly and swing foot comes around, all the energy should be transferred up and towards the basket. And you should go straight up and down, landing in the same spot.

He needs to practice good footwork.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 11:11 

I would just add this to Jeff's great post ...

I've seen Blake shoot and I always thought he had great form and footwork... so what caussed this? Move his distance back in to where he is in a good comfort zone and work on the footwork.

Start slowly and then pick it up to his game speed.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 11:25 

Thanks guys ! I will pay attention to the footwork and work from inside range to out ! Would uaing the little shooting drill rolling from the block to block receiving pass and shooting work and working our way out to like the elbow? Not sure what caused it coach sar it was something I just started noticing over time ! It kinda creeped up on me'! He was being used in pick n roll to where he come off the screen and shoot a j sometimes a 3 ! That's when I mainly started noticing it ! Could it have develop because he was being used slightly out of his range ?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2011, 18:37 

Not sure if shooting out of his range would cause that... we aren't looking at his shot... but IF you are shooting out of your comfort zone you will do whatever it takes to get the ball up to the rim.... so that very well could be.

That elbow shot would be a good place to start... you can pass it or he can flip the ball out and to get it, stop on his inside foot and square up for his shot. Get him comfortable with his shot and range and see where this goes.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 06:59 

By the way, you might remind Blake that I was suggesting some time back that the stay away from the 3 until he gets a little older / stronger so it doesn't ruin his form.

Form is all about muscle memory - the more he shoots with proper form the better his shot will be.

We had a few kids that shot a 1,000 free throws every morning before camp... they were almost automatic.... I NEVER saw them miss 2 free throws in a row. 4th quarters were great when they went to the line... we didn't have anybody in the lane because we knew they were going to make the shot. A young coach asked me if that bothered the other team... my reply.... I hope so, ADVANTAGE US.
By the way, their % were in the high 80s but in the 4th qtr...... 90s.

So get him back on track with a lot of shots that are easy for him where he can be successful and work your way back to challenge him a little.....when his % go down, you know that he is out of his comfort zone, go back and start over.... he will get better, his range will increase. The 3 point shot has ruined youth players, what kid doesn't want to shoot 3s or dunk? :-)

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 09:57 

This is typical with most right handed players shooting off the dribble. The same goes for lefty shooters...they prefer shooting off the right dribble.
The answer is simple: A righty shooter dribbling left already has his shooting arm facing the hoop, it's a quicker and shorter pivot to stop square and shoot. When a righty shooter is dribbling right his shooting arm(which is now dribbling) is facing the bleachers resulting in a longer turn and fully square up.

Also, as Jeff states, when you dribble left, you plant your right foot, pivot and swing your left foot to square up. This left foot swing provides a little more explosive power to swing and explode up for the jumper. As righties...ever since we were kids...we run and try to jump as high as we can....which foot do we explode off of..our left!!
That's why when righties dribbles right, plant left, pivot and take jumper...they never feel that they elevated as much as going to the left.

For what's it's worth....

Rock Steady,

Coach A

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2011, 17:08 

Thanks guys!!! He is trying to shoot every evening after I get off work and we are mainly focusing on proper pivot with inside foot and swinging around all in one motion and and squaring up with feet under him in general direction of goal , proper follow thru techniques with release of what I call elbow just above eye level ! Slowing down and paying attention To detail has started dialing him back in ! We start out on the block with bank shots and move outward to about 18 ft max! It seems to be working ! We don't count misses or makes but At times he seems to hit 20 in a row when he gets it rolling ! I just keep reminding him muscle memory !repeat exactly the same form and motion each time ! Appreciate all ur advice the kid loves this game!!! Thanks plus it's fun for both of us to be able get out there and spend time, of course I have to take time and let him show me' all the left handed layups and moves he practices while I'm at work !! Lol its lots of fun

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 03:56 

FUN - the key word here, especially at his age..... its great that the two of you are spending some quality time together.... this is something neither of you will forget...... and doing it playing the greatest game in the world makes it even better.

I'm glad that things are working out for him... remind him that PERFECT practice makes perfect..... practice doing just anything just creates bad habits..... and him experimenting with shot other shots is a good thing.... he will learn what he can and cant do and works on things to make himself a better player.