All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 17:59 

Hello Breakthrough Basketball, ok this is going to be a long email but I really wish you can read it and help me. My name is Alex and I'm 15. I am having some problems with shooting. I began with horrible shooting, my first shot coach had me doing square up elbow under the ball which never worked for me and worsened my shot. Then I started using Tom Nordland's Swish Method. I pretty much skipped the learning how you shoot now section. It worked like a miracle at first, at the beginning of using it I was totally shooting lights out, or maybe i just felt like it because I was horrible before. So for a while I was shooting like never did before and it felt so great, except I couldn't really shoot threes. But recently I'm having problems again. I am airballing more often and there just feels like something wrong with my shooting. I just kept missing and it was really disappointing. Yesterday I changed my form again to the way Dave Hopla and Ganon Baker teaches, which is squared stance, elbow under the ball etc. I shot pretty good that night. But today I can't shoot again. Partly because the rim was really bad, but this time I feel like something is wrong with my release. I had the same problem with swish method too. It's just weird and I feel like I am releasing to my left. Also my follow through is wrong too. I try to shoot off my index finger and it still wouldn't work. I am really frustrated right now and not sure what my problem is, and what i should do. Can you please help me? thank you so much. Alex

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 07:01 

Alex,

This is really tough since we cant see your shot.... first of all, find a good form that YOU are comfortable with and are successful with.
Then quit playing around with your shot - practice until your muscle memory takes over.
We taught BEEF - Balance, Elbow under the ball ( that really doesn't mean directly under the ball but you get the idea ) Eye on the target and Follow through.
Break your shot down and start every session with what we called BEEF check, start close to the bakset.... go from block - center - and other block. OR you can do a lot of practicing shooting off a wall...... I had my players start with ONE hand.... take one dribble, bring the ball up and go into your shot, HOLDING your follow through..... we talked about putting your hand into the cookie jar.

All of this has to become second nature IF you are going to become a good shooter......so, start CLOSE to the basket ( after you do BEEF CHECK ) 5-6 feet and don't move further back until you are REALLY SUCCESSFUL - move back slowly. Don't worry about shooting threes until you have the short range game mastered.. thats first, then go to the mid range game... 14 - 17 feet.

Maybe you can ask your coach to help you out a little bit.. OR find one of your friends / or an older kid who can shoot well. Good luck and let us know how its going....

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 09:03 
Site Admin

Alex,

I agree with Coach Sar. My concern is this statement that you made:
"Yesterday I changed my form again to the way Dave Hopla and Ganon Baker teaches, which is squared stance, elbow under the ball etc. I shot pretty good that night. But today I can't shoot again. "

Alex, you can NOT think like that! You will never be a good shooter if you change your shot every time you have a bad day. Accurate shooting takes hours, weeks, months, and years of consistent shooting. You must shoot the same way every time. Once you have established your form, you must take 50,000 shots doing it the same way to develop rhythm, distance control, and accuracy.

Tom Nordland teaches excellent technique. Go back to that open stance technique. Then make sure you practice the same way over and over, for months and years. You can use video tape and/or shooting coach to make sure you start out right and have good habits to start with. But you can't judge whether the shot is working until you practice for a long time!

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 09:26 

Sorry I had never seen this post until today. In fact I did not know there is a forum till today when I was browsing through this site. I didnt know my question was posted and I was waiting at my mail for so long for any of you guys to reply. Sorry but I did not receive anything about my question was posted or anything I didn't even create this account and I didn't know I had an account.
I think I send some more emails after that. Sorry about that but I really had no idea about this. No one told me anything about anything.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 09:36 

Alex,

Don't worry about that... listen to what Jeff and I have been telling you.... get comfortable with a method and stay with it... I agree with Jeff... stick with Tom Nordlands techniques....

Funny how Jeff and I have told you the same thing... STOP changing your form every time you have a bad day.. and STOP telling yourself you are a bad shooter.... the good ones think they can make every shot... and missing a bunch doesn't stop them.

The difference between a good shooter and a poor one... is practice... repititions... shooting a lot of shots. I had some kids that shot 1,000 free throws a day all summer long. Get out and shoot and HAVE FUN. Its a game remember? :-)