All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2011, 07:20 

Let me know if the video is good enough - thanks

http://www.adaptivemediausa.com/bball.mp4

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2011, 07:29 

His shot looks pretty good to me ..... the only thing I might suggest is that he holds his follow through until the ball goes through the net........

He was hitting a lot of his shots in this video? If thats the case, tell him you are going to video all his games haha :-)

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011, 10:36 

I watched a JJ Redick shooting video recently. He says shooting is a progression. Nobody's shot is ever perfect. You have to work on form constantly. Even great shooters will develop bad muscle memory once in a while and they have to go back and work on it.

I'm very meticulous about shooting form. After looking at the video, I would say his problem starts with his footwork. Most shooting instuctors I've seen have said "ten toes to the goal." In the video it looks like his feet are pointed to the right of the goal, which causes his body to appear twisted. I did not notice any twisting in the air. He just isn't squared up when he begins the shooting motion. In the video he is doing a one-two step moving to the right, dribbling with his right hand. He needs to turn his hips a little more so that his right foot comes around square to the basket.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011, 11:50 

We started every practice with BEEF check, meaning, when they came on the floor they had to do that to make sure their form was correct.... which they can also do when shooting free throws.

We also talked about coming off the inside foot to square you up to the basket.... but again... IF he has a good shooting % I wouldn't mess with his shot too much.

Why don't you chart his shooting, to include some free throws and lets see where he is at.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 23:18 

Didn't realize there was a video to look at. I don't see what I would call twisting. What I see is drifting to his right. His head and shoulders are moving to the right. This unnecessary motion is impossible to duplicate from one shot to the next. He, in effect, is taking a different shot every time he shoots as the distance and the speed of the drift cannot be replicated exactly. Other than being a machine, the only way to replicate motion is to not have any motion at all. The key to having no motion at all in his shot is for him to keep his head and shoulders absolutely still as he goes through his shooting motion. As a collateral indication of his keeping his head and shoulders still, you will find that he will begin to land in the same spot that he takes off from. Good on-the-ball defense will attempt to force him to drift even more, and his shooting percentage will go down even more.

On looking closer at his technique, I can see the slight twising that you are talking about, which seems to cause his shooting arm to also move to the right right toward the end of his mechanics. This is disastrous for shooting for the same reason mentioned above - a twisting motion is difficult (impossible) to replicate. Again, he must keep his head and the twisting of his shoulder STILL throghout the entire delivery of the ball to the basket.