All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 16:01 

I have a question. If you are shooting with both hands at the side of the ball, that's not good, is it? I can't seem to correct my form.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 16:15 

Do a search online for shooting form... then, stand by a wall and do it with ONE hand....
Take one dribble, bring the ball up with your shooting hand only... (guide hand behind your back or at your side) then go into your shot... you should be finishing your shot with your elbow by your eye or ear.... hold your follow through... shoot the ball at a target on the wall.

Just keep doing that until you have your form corrected... forget a basket... right now its about muscle memory and having a good form....

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 14:36 

i've always focused on elbow over knee...straight up...snap the wrist and smell the armpit

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 09:40 

Yep..these coaches are correct. Never shoot a ball with both hands.

Your strong hand is always the shooting hand which is underneath the ball with your hand in the direct center of the ball. Your hand should be spread wide, shooting thumb at 45 degrees with a small gap between ball and your palm. The ball contacts your fingers, finger tips and finger pads....NOT contacting your palm.
Your other hand is the guide hand. It remains on side of ball as you begin your shooting motion. As you bring ball up to shoot, your guide hand stays while your shooting hand releases high and follows thru. The guide hand, after release, stays in a "karate chop" position while your shooting hand follows thru. You do not want to have any fingers or the thumb of your guide hand in contact with ball during the release of your shot...this will add side spin to your shot and also affect accuracy.

Good Luck,

Coach A