All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 02:19 

Oh I forget. I have a camp coming up. It's my school's camp combined with other local high schools. So, it starts next week monday.
So any tips for me before camp starts?

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 06:59 

Good plan....

I would do a little less form shooting (unless your form warrants it) and add shots to #4 in a couple of other spots.

I do like the plan that you have set out for yourself...... see if you can get somebody who wants to do this with you.. more fun, quicker to accomplish, you can critique each other too.....

Keep an open mind when coaches are trying to help you... work hard at camp and do the best you can. You can learn something from EVERY coach you come in contact with... (even if you don't like them or agree with them) Let us know how the camp goes.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 19:09 

Whew camp was very tiring and fun too.
My coach was impressed how I rebound the ball the most.
He like the way I block out on D and quickly rebound the ball from the primeter.
My coach (assistant) he writes down all of the team's overall per game stats.
I look it up on the last day of camp, I was the lead rebound on the team! I averaged
8.2 rpg! Say is that a good number? 2.4 ppg(44%), needs more work.
At camp, they have the "shot doctor" and he really helps me a lot.
He said that my arc was too short, that why I miss a lot.
There was 16 players from my HS that went and other 5 HS as well.
We were placed 3rd for the tourament. I was playing more minutes comparing
my teamates. I would say about 24 minutes a game. I didn't start the game
the first day but I did start overall the next day. Must be a great oppriunity for me to
be a starter for varsity 2012. Camp was fun and lots of sprinting exhausting man.
So what you think?

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 04:32 

First of all, glad you enjoyed the camp coming away with some good information...... REBOUNDING is a big part of the game... a lot of coaches build their teams around GREAT REBOUNDERS, Point guards and a GOOD post player..... Rebounding as well as you do should get you at the very least a GREAT look from the coaches.... don't worry too much about starting, what is important, is WHO is in the game during crunch time.
The coach telling you that your arc is short ( meaning the arc/shot is flat ) I think I told you that your elbow should be around your eye as you are releasing the ball.... is that what he was telling you?
Now that you are home you can work on that form.... do it against a wall, that way you wont be worried about making shots.... do this EVERYDAY until you get it right... and of course your regular shooting work out.
Keep up the good work and that you will give you a great opportunity to realize your dream/GOAL - being a starter for your varsity team.
GOOD LUCK

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 14:00 

Yeah thanks.
So I should keep working on my same game i did at camp?
2012, I will be a senior and hoping to end well.
I have never get serious in HS games since I first make the varsity team.
I'm 18 years I repeated 8th grade twice. Took my grades serious when I enter HS.
I was pretty lazy before and now I step up have a nice 3.0 gpa. Reason because
at try-out during my freshman year, I was 2.5 gpa they said only 2.5 to make the team.
I was risky choice and not make the team. THen i try out again my 10th, with 2.8 gpa, made
the JV and yes started 50/50 of the season. I work very little over the summer, I was only practicing basketball
at 3 times a week and shooting about 100 shots maybe more. So, I make the Varstiy my JR year because of my D
and really took the game seriously. I took advice from my cousin who played ball and he said D can make you "noticed by
coach" I said ok, so I work hard on my D, gave my good minutes and games...etc. Then I went to camp for first time.
I learned a lot that will improve my games. Got the highest rebounds. Starting the games. I realized that
I should work harder than what I did my pevious summers. plus I did play my 8th grade basketball team but got cut because of
my grades. So, I took my plans seriously whatever you read. Yeah, so what you think of my story?
PS i am now 5'7" shortest guy on the team but 2nd fastest runner. My time for 100 meters is 11.42 sec. Pretty awesome?
yes i run for track for 2 years.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 15:24 

Some people are late bloomers on and off the court.... my grades were 2. at best - didn't go to college until I was 32 and then had a 4.59 all the way through... so you got serious a lot earlier than I did.. it took bball to get you to that... it took teaching and coaching to get me there.
Big point, remember, bball is not going to be your career.... have some fun, work hard on and off the court so you can make something of yourself.... by now, you should have some idea as to what you want to do with your life.
D is your strong suit and your coach likes that... use that to your advantage, work on the things they taught you in camp... make yourself a better all around player....that will get you more minutes.
I LIKE your story, it seems like you are on the right track to success... keep it up.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2011, 21:23 

Alright, Thanks for your help.
I will come back when school starts and let you know how i go.
thanks

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 19:23 

I need help on my shooting form. All my coaches describe it as a slingshot shooting motion as the ball flies against the backboard. I just get frustrated and depressed on the subject. I still manage to score a good amounts of points in the post but my jumpshot never falls for me.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 19:42 

What have they told you to do? Have they demonstrated it for you or walked you through your shot?

Sounds like your form is messed up.....

Stand by a wall, take one dribble and bring the ball up with your shooting hand... go into your shot at the wall.... your release point shout be like elbow to eye/ear.... that should take care of the flat shot.... do NOT let the ball go behind your head - as you are bringing it up the ball starts by along side of your eye and you bring the ball up and as your elbow gets around your eye/ear you go into the shot.

Do a search regarding shooting and you should see some examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9s_ukMz0e0&feature=related