ball handling(could get better)
Floater

weaknesses
I force plays (not reading the defense)
I get tunnel vision sometimes when attacking the rim
Shooting (no threes on varsity)
Above average athleticism

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 19:46 

I like your strengths... how tall are you right now? How quick are you? Good first step? How about from the free throw line?

You're young, keep working on your ball handling... that alone can get you out of a lot of trouble along with being able to read the defense..... thats a very important part of the game. Read the D and take what they give you. Be ready to give it up IF its not there. Remember, IF You do this a few things will happen.... 1- your teammates will love you... 2- it will open up the game for yourself if you start kicking it out or dumping it off to a post player. 3- they will get easy shots.

They don't allow you to shoot threes on the Varsity???? OR you're not good at that part of your game yet? Explain what you mean by tunnel vision.... ( meaning you are only looking to score and don't see the open man? A dump to a post player or kicking it out to a wing shooter?)

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 20:25 

I'm 6 foot and half with shoes most would say six two at the age of 15. I may not that be fast but I'm quick enough to get anyone on my hip. I was probably in the high 80's low 90's in the beginning of the season, but later I took a weight class and didn't shoot more shots to compensate it messed with my accuracy, so I probably finished the season in the high 70's.

When I penetrated, I was telling myself to either to look to score or pass quickly, without reading the defense. If I scored I would look to score and everytime I penetrated, I would go in seeking contact to score, while missing an open player in the corner or wing.

With threes I had the green light to shoot it but my accuracy wasn't there. But I have been working with the Swish method by Tom Nordland and my shot has been more automatic.

I should have said that I am extremely motivated. After the last game of the season (I was the high scorer of my team with 8, defensive battle). I knew I had to work be the dominant, leader for my team. And the next very day I started an off season regimen. A few weeks afterward, this confidence came to me, and I felt that no one can guard me, that I can go off at any time.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 20:26 

I'm 6 foot and half with shoes most would say six two at the age of 15. I may not that be fast but I'm quick enough to get anyone on my hip. I was probably in the high 80's low 90's in the beginning of the season, but later I took a weight class and didn't shoot more shots to compensate it messed with my accuracy, so I probably finished the season in the high 70's.

When I penetrated, I was telling myself to either to look to score or pass quickly, without reading the defense. If I scored I would look to score and everytime I penetrated, I would go in seeking contact to score, while missing an open player in the corner or wing.

With threes I had the green light to shoot it but my accuracy wasn't there. But I have been working with the Swish method by Tom Nordland and my shot has been more automatic.

I should have said that I am extremely motivated. After the last game of the season (I was the high scorer of my team with 8, defensive battle). I knew I had to work be the dominant, leader for my team. And the next very day I started an off season regimen. A few weeks afterward, this confidence came to me, and I felt that no one can guard me, that I can go off at any time.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 20:29 

Oh and I did shoot threes and I just didn't hit any

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 20:49 

You're a big kid... and still growing... nice size for a guard. They say that after you lift you should shoot right away... you might try that this year..... 70s is still a pretty good % for a 15 year old.

Don't beat youself up over last year... that was a big learning experience for you.
Relax and have some fun when you play... and let the game/play come to you.... don't make decisions prior to the situation. Go to school on how the D plays you and then that should help you to make decisions later on in the game.

I had an extremely quick point guard that I had to convince him to kick the ball out to the wing a few times so that kid couldn't help out on you... opening up the lane to the basket... ask your coach for help in the game, ask him what he is seeing IF you find yourself in that position again.

Once you start giving up the ball to the wing or a post player, your shot will come a lot easier. Work on your mid range jumper too.... I had a simple rule for my players... don't take shots that you cant make in practice... so my advice to you is this... IF you want to shoot threes, you need to work on that part of your game so you can make about 35 - 40 % in practice. Keep working on your game and things will ge better. Let us know how you are progressing.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 21:01 

Is their any way I can contact you, (email address etc.)

PostPosted: 17 May 2011, 13:45 
Site Admin

Sorry but our policy is to not share emails on the forum. This protects the coaches and players from getting their emails scrapped by spammers and also protects everyone's privacy. Thanks!

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 17:45 

Just keep asking your questions and we will try and help you..... hope things are getting better for you.