All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 21:49 

What is the appropiate mentality for a scorer when preparing for a game and when he first receives the ball?

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 07:29 

Jordan,

As a coach I never wanted to put any pressure on my shooters.... they knew that I had a great deal of confidence in them (or they wouldn't be shooting as much as I allowed them to shoot)

As a player, I think you need to go into games thinking that you will never miss a shot (even though you will) Have confidence in your abilities as a player and shooter.... don't worry if you miss.... even M J missed a "few" :-)

Try to catch the ball shot ready... IF you are in a position to shoot, meaning a shot where you can be successful, in your range and a spot on the floor where you are comfortable.... then shoot the ball.... some say that you should think Pass first... thinking about the triple threat... that was not my philosophy.... IF you're a shooter, you should be thinking shot first.... JMO This worked for my better shooters, others might have a different opinion.

I hope this answers your question, if not, get back to us. Is this for you or????

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 08:07 

This is for me, I always thought that the great scorers had a different mentality than other players, allowing them to dominate.

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 08:25 

I understand.... think about all the great shooters/scorers..... they think they are unstoppable.... Jordon, Kobe, D Rose, Larry Bird, Magic - just to mention a few.

They are the best ... they work the hardest, always working on their shooting and an intense desire to win, they hated losing.

I talked to Doug Collins when he was the head coach of the Bulls with Michael... I asked him what it was like to coach him... he told me that he as royal pain in the........ why? Because they could never run anything on the floor if he was on defense and when he sat him down he would sneak back in... I could only wish to coach a player like that.

What level do you play at?

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 19:55 

I'm a sophomore in high school, and I played varsity this past year, and Im making the transition from defering to my teammates each and ever game, to becoming more aggressive and dominant scorer.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 06:25 

Jordan,
You can be proud of the fact that you were on the Varsity last year as a sophomore... the coach must think a lot of you.

I wouldn't worry too much about deferring to the upper classmen this year... that's pretty much how it should have gone unless you are AUTOMATIC...
I had some great sophomores play on some of my varsity teams but they weren't the first option... relax and work on your shot... yes, become more aggressive - on both ends of the floor.... be a shut down defender and step up your game offensively.
You might even talk to your coach and ask him what his expectations of you are.... its nice to know your role. My players never had to ask me what their roles were, they knew from our practices.... but since you want to step up your game, see what he is thinking.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 09:03 

I talked to him during and after the season, and one of my strengths was my versatility as a player. On offense I had a great post up game when I played Guard, but I could handle the ball and penetrate when they put a big on me. On defense I was quick enough to gaurd the 2, but could probably guard the 5.

My role was always take what the defense gives and know I'm understanding that and working attacking and reacting to different situations I can encounter in games.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 09:14 

You are a pretty versatile player..... coaches like guys like you...someone where we can create a mismatch and when you have to cover a big you can handle it.

Yes, take what they give you, play to your strengths and work on your weaknesses.... Sounds like you will be a big part of the team next year.

Try to be a leader too.... did you watch the Bulls last night... they played like an inspired high school team... diving on the floor, offensive rebounding and playing defense like there was no tomorrow.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 14:55 

I did catch the game, you saw things that you couldn't teach, hustle, determination, and emotion on the court. Even Derrick Rose was showing emotion!!

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 17:30 

They sure were excited .... the Pros get that way a lot don't they? I wasn't too crazy to see our players get overly emotional.... kind of like, play like you've been there before?

Hustle and determination.... some of the things that coaches love to see.

How would you describe your good points? And things you need to work on?