All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 17:26 

i was reading through some tips and saw somethign called the 'swish' method. I was curious abotu this method so i looked it up on youtube. At first glance it looked like a wierd shot that could easily be prone to get blocked alot. It was miraculous though to see kids that were even 12 year olds hitting shots like nothing!I want some advice on whether this method is reccomended if you want to play (hopefully) college basketball or pros like if it is reccomended int he nba and stuff. Thanks! Im a 16 year old sophmore

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 18:39 

Christian,

Take a look at the 14 year old shooting using the "Swish" method..... and I think what he is teaching has to do with the correct form and both the 12 & 14 year old had good form.... this kid has the same shot every time... we call that muscle memory.... so its automatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTxHGOQdEc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6xGbsAPjs&feature=related
Look at the little guys shooting the ball, same form, same results.

So, tell me what your concerns are about this style of shooting?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 19:10 

what concercns me is if the set point is too low. Like if it is really susceptible to getting blocked. I watched alot of the videos and its remarkable how the kids swish everything but in a real game with good defenders wont this shot be more susceptible to getting blocked?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 19:28 

OK, I understand what you are saying.... I think as you get older ( high school age ) you incorporate this form into your jumper...

We taught BEEF which is pretty much the same as the Swish..... I think the key is to catch the ball shot ready, IF you catch it lower it makes it somewhat easier... we taught that if you caught the ball in the shot pocket, to go right into your shot.

Shooting off the dribble makes it easier too because you are bringing the ball up off the dribble. The key is to have good form.... So, tell us about your form and what your concerns are about it.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 19:50 

Well my form right is i shoot from about the side, like i shoot from the shoulders not from my right eye( im a righty) its an ok shot but i felt i could perfect my form more so when i practice i practice with a good form

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 20:25 

Thats half the battle... making sure that you practice with proper form. Did you see the one part in the video where the kid was taking short shots... we called that BEEF check, making sure the form was correct.

As you are bringing the ball up the ball will be slightly to the right of your eye... and then there will be a window to look through..... as you are releasing the ball your elbow will be slightly above your eye.

Now, with all that being said, don't go to crazy with exacts here, IF your form is good, shoot the ball the way you are comfortable and hopefully the results will be good. Don't overthink your shot. I hope all of this has helped.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 20:47 

Thanks Coach i will keep all of that in mind

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 21:14 

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

My answers were timed between the periods of the Blackhawks game - they won in OT! :-)