All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 14:25 

hello to everybody, im 16 year old who plans to play for the varsity basketball team next year. Im currently not playing but im training as hard as i can. Im 5'7 im aiming to be either a point guard or shooting guard but i know for both positions i will need to be a consistent shooter. Ive been working on my shooting form lately and it has improved but i want my shooting form to be quicker and more consistent. So i looked up the great article on stephens curry shot and decided to change it like his. I know you have to be patient, but its been a week now and well my shot hasnt really improved and ive noticed alot that i hit the rim alot and looks like im not getting enough power on it. Any suggestions? Anything i may be doing wrong? Much help is apprecaited, thanks!

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 14:41 

Ok Christian...

While its nice to emulate someone like that, you have to do what's best for you... trying to be someone you're not will only frustrate you. A kind of smiled when you said that you have been working on it for a week now... it will take a lot longer than that, especially IF you don't have someone there that can help you, to point out what you are doing right and what you need to improve upon.

Have you played any basketball before this? Did you play on the freshman and sophomore teams at your school?

There is so much to learn about playing both positions... do they have summer camps at your school? IF so, get yourself enrolled now. You need to work on your form a lot... once you have that mastered you can start to work on your shot... starting in close and working your way back.
Is your shot hitting the front of the rim? One thing you might look at is where your elbow is upon the release of the ball. It should be around your eye level. There are a lot of posts on this site regarding "shooting" and "finishing".. you might take a look at some of those and then come back and tell us more about your shot.

Take a look at some of the videos on you tube regarding shooting and compare their form to yours. Bottom line is that YOU have to be comfortable with your shot once you have the correct form.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 14:43 

Take a look "Player Tips & Development" on the left side of this page... there is a lot of information there....

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/btshooting.html

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 15:39 

Well ive only played for a year now and i played in my freshman year but only for half the season. I was the backup point guard.
Well im not exactly trying to make my shot like stephen curry's, i just want a very quick release like his. I have a two piece shot i shoot at the top of my jump but i want to a more fluid motion like his. and i know what you mean about not trying to copy someones shooting form but i think for smaller players its better to have a quick release. I guess i will have to practice alot then lol.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 07:26 

I understand what you mean about a quick release for "smaller" guys... and yes, practice is the thing you need to do and A LOT of it.... but remember, it has to be PERFECT practice, otherwise you will just be re-enforcing bad habit.

See if you can find a coach or someone that really knows how to shoot so you can get some help,..... maybe video your shot and then look at it. Its amazing what you can find out from watching yourself... and its also amazing when I was coaching that I would tell a player something and he would look at me like I was crazy.... then I showed him the video... that stopped that thinking right away.

Are there any camps around your area? See if you can find one that deals with shooting A LOT. NOW, tell us about your shot....

NOTES FROM STEVE NASH (speaking at the Nike Steve
Nash Skills Academy regarding point guard play)

* A player should always want his coach to be critical--it is an
opportunity to learn or opportunity to overcome adversity.
* A point guard sets the table for everybody; he makes other
players believe in themselves. If the point guard is not "fun"
to be around and if he is not respected, he will have a difficult
chance becoming a good point guard.
* Everyday work on all of the shots you will use in a game.
* No one is going to be in better shape than me.
* I don't want to dribble just to dribble...but I don't want to give
up my dribble and give my defensive man an advantage.
* Know your teammates and where they want their shots.
* Early in my NBA career, I worked out after a game.
* On an isolation play, read the defense behind your defender
and don't make up your mind that you have to score.