All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 05:11 

What up everyone, hope everyone is doing good...

I've been playing ball for 15 years, but I've never had a jumper. I've bought projects such as:
1. The Bandit
2. Better Shooting
3. Jumpusa Naypalm
4. Nike Shooting Ball

I've done all these in bits and pieces and as a result my shot has never consistent and instead is forced. I've tried to shoot the ball like the pros; I've tried to mimic Nash, Allen, and Bird. I feel like all of it has messed any shot I ever had

I'm ready to transform my shot and become a shooter.

Any tips on where to start for my transformation? Thanks

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 08:30 

Here are a few things I have found -

http://www.hoopsking.com/pejush.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6gsevzCAnA&feature=related

But looking at what you have already done, maybe you should invest in a personal trainer IF that is possible.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 09:35 
Site Admin

Like Ken suggests, the best thing you can do is get a shooting coach / basketball trainer.

Once you develop your shot, don't change it! Everything needs to be consistent.

Each and every component must be consistent and done the same way...

1. Your feet must be lined up and in the same position every time. This will help the alignment of your shot.

2. Your shot pocket and grip on the ball should be the same every time. Generally speaking, the ball should be held between the upper chest and the top of the nose.
Think about it: If you vary the position of the ball in your shot pocket, you’ll throw off the timing and control of your shot as well as its power and distance.

3. Your shot motion and arm position should be the same every time.

4. Your knee bend and jump should be consistent. The height of your jump should be nearly the same every time. (No, it’s usually not best to jump as high as you can!)

5. Your release point and follow-through should be the same every time. Your hand should be in the exact same position, resulting in the same soft shot every time.

Consistency! Consistency! Consistency!

It doesn’t matter if you’re shooting a 3 pointer, an 8-footer in the lane, or a jumper off the dribble; your mechanics will always be the same.

If you look at all of the greatest shooters in the world, they ALL shoot the exact same way every time. They jump the same height. They release they same way, and so on. They might have varying techniques and their shot might look different, but they are all consistent.

How do you develop consistent mechanics?

You must practice consistently. You need to shoot 500-1000 shots a week. That is how you develop consistency and accuracy.

But not only do you need to practice consistently, you need to practice smart. Shooting 1000 shots with bad form or inconsistent form will not help you. So you should start shooting away from the basket. You need about 5000 shots away from the basket with correct form. Then you can move to the basket and start practicing your shots.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 10:00 

I think that Jeff has said it perfectly.....

Consistency! Consistency! Consistency!

PERFECT PRACTICE makes PERFECT...... we cant see your shot so you have to find someone who will look at it ( someone who knows what they are doing ) and help you create that perfect shot.

We taught all of our players the same way... parents from other schools commented on that... a nice compliment... NOW, IF I had a kid that was knocking down shots from anywhere on the floor, I wouldn't tough his shot.... if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Good luck

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 10:05 
Site Admin

I know that Tom Nordland might be offering a service where he evaluates your shot via video. You upload videos and he critiques your shot. You obviously have to pay for that but he's very good and it would be cheaper than a trainer. If he comes out with that service we can let you know.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 15:59 

I agree its all about consistency, consistency, consistency. What I still have The Bandit to allow a perfect 90 degree elbow, but what would be some drills to develop a consistent away from the basket?

Jeff you said I need to shoot 5000 baskets away from the basket before I can actually start shooting...that is very interesting

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 16:15 

Jeff is referring to FORM shooting against a wall.... that way you will develop the muscle memory for the consistency that you are looking for.

5,000 is a lot of form shooting but it will certainly develop your form - I still think that with all the shooting stuff you have tried - a trainer or shooting instructer would be the best for you.

You haven't told us that your form is bad or good... you are just saying that you don't have a jumper... and you have been playing for 15 years... Do you have a jumper and its just not good?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 16:34 

Well my form is "okay" I have close to a 90 degree elbow, however many times the ball hits the top of my forehead. I have a little hitch at the top of jumper (almost like a push shot).

I am somewhat of a perfectionist and I always practiced perfect form, but instead of having a easy flowing shot I instead have a rigid and stressed shot.

I can make jumpers but their not consistent and during games I may change my form to whatever is comfortable during a game. I want to work to get a consistent and comfortable form and jump shot

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 17:58 

A couple of quick things... if your is hitting your forehead your elbow is out a little bit too far.... try some form shooting using ONE hand... that way you elbow will be under the ball.

The other thing is this.... you need to get comfortable with the CORRECT FORM and use that every time.... you will never be consistent if you keep changing your shot during games.

Perfect practice can do this. A lot of reps.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 17:44 

Coach could you recommend me some form shooting exercises to work with?