All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48 

I think you are a classic example of someone that has overthought your skill and, for all of you good intentions and hard work, has looked for shortcuts to become a better shooter.

Shooting is a very personal skill. None of those outside "aids" will do anything but make the people that sold them to you richer. Patterning yourself after and emulating others is a recipe for sure failure. Worrying about whether your elbow is at 90 degrees or any other degree puts your attention in the wrong places.

Shooting is very personal and individual. Two things have to be present. First, you have to be comfortable. Second, it has to be the same thing every time. There are a couple of things that I might emphasize if you were in the gym with me but you're not so I won't give you that guidance.

I will tell you this, though. Make a commitment to one style and stick with it through thick and thin. If you change every time you have a bad day, you will never get good at anything. Practice what you are going to do - a lot. When you play, trust your practice. If you feel you need to make a correction, don't do it in competition, what until you get back to practice. Trust yourself and let it go.

If you really want an outside aid, read the book, "Zen Golf." it is a great book about the mental process of performing fine motor skills.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 01:29 

Thank you for your honest advice. If I am able to post my short shooting video on here would you mind giving it a short critique?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 08:36 

As long as you don't take it too seriously. Regardless of what I say, you have to commit to whatever you feel is best for you.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 09:14 

Coach K has given you some good advice..... and as we have said... consistency is the key.... you get consistency by practicing and shooting the same way all the time...
I for one believed in teaching shooting using George Lehman's shooting technique starting with BEEF and working from there. Beef is Balance, Elbow under the ball, Eye on the target and Follow through... Some coaches have different ways of teaching shooting... but that is what worked for me and our teams.

Here is something that I got from Randy Brown's site.....
10 Characteristics of Good and Poor Shooters

Shooting advice for all players at all levels

1. Good Shooters spend time each day on proper shooting technique. Good Shooters use a chair to "form shoot" for 10 minutes before taking their first shot at the basket.
Poor Shooters spend time on their shooting technique when they "have time." Poor Shooters grab a ball and go to the three point line to begin launching shots.

2. Good Shooters work on moving without the ball and "prepare" the shoot the ball before ever catching it.
Poor Shooters wait for their turn to shoot then think about getting a shot off.

3. Good Shooters start close to the basket and make 5 straight before moving back.
Poor shooters shoot from all areas of the floor "hoping to make it."

4. Good Shooters study other good shooters and follow their habits
Poor Shooters shoot the ball the same way without any help from others.

5. Good Shooters study the path of the ball and where the ball hits the rim. They make adjustments based on where the ball hits the rim; long/short, right/ left.
Poor Shooters judge their shooting accuracy solely on whether the ball goes in or not.

6. Good Shooters square up to the basket before shooing, called "Ten Toes."
Poor Shooters are not concerned with alignment they just want to quickly get their shot off.

7. Good Shooters shoot from an athletic position known as Triple Threat position. One quick movement from triple threat produces a solid shot.
Poor Shooters catch the ball in an upright position then take time to bend their knees before shooting. Poor Shooters do not play in triple threat.

8. Good Shooters use their whole body to shoot the shot. They know that their LEGS make shots with good form.
Poor shooters shoot the ball with their upper body only and throw the ball at the basket instead of shooting it.

9. Good Shooters follow through consistently by "throwing their hand into the basket."
Poor Shooters are inconsistent in their follow through resulting in inconsistent results.

10. Good Shooters understand the importance of BALANCE before, during and after the shot! The feet are always under their head.
Poor Shooters shoot off balance from all different kinds of angles. Their feet are rarely under their head.

Key Questions:
1. How many of these describe YOU as a shooter?
2. Your goal is to accomplish all 10 of the "Good Shooter" characteristics as you grow and develop as a basketball player.
3. What is your score out of 10 and how badly do you want to be a Good Shooter?