All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 13:29 

Hi all, I'm a 13 year old basketball player of an AAU team. I can honestly say that I am a great shooter, but I need advice on getting to the rim. Are there any "tips" to get better at driving? Thank you

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:11 

How tall are you? Do you see m2m defenses or zones?

Develop a good crossover so you can beat the man defending you..... then you need either go strong to the basket and finish....... or jump stop and dump to a post player, kick it out to a wing or shoot the J. Take a look at some of the better point guards in the NBA - like Derrick Rose (yes, I'm a Bulls fan) - he is getting better with every game he plays. Use your speed and quickness to get by that defender.... then read what the D is doing and react from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKeIL5Omw4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B90Zt91zbdw&feature=fvst

Oh yea, glad to see that you have so much confidence in your shot. :-)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 15:46 

By the way, think about what a point guard is supposed to do - Be a leader on the floor, Initiate the offense, distribute the ball and make other players better.
Handle the ball without turning it over too much.... you will have turnovers because you will be handling the ball every time down the floor. These are just a few of the things that are important.

I had one point guard that no ONE player could defend..... but until I convinced him that he had to kick the ball out to our wing or dump it to the post player he had a lot of difficulty scoring while he was taking the ball to the basket...... people were collapsing on him. Once he figured that out, he became a lot tougher and better player. Just some thoughts for you to think about.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 20:19 

Thanks coach- I'm 5'6'' (shooting guard), and i mostly see man to man defenses. The videos were very useful.

One more thing, do you know any "finishing moves" at the rim? For example, a spin move, hopstep, etc? Once again, thanks

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 22:29 

The less dribbling you do in the paint the better off you are... the last thing you want to do is to get in close and have someone tip the ball... so I'm not sure a spin move would be good... I have seen a few kids do that ... they were jet quick... but to get away with not dribbling they got called for travelling....

I've seen a lot of jump stops in the lane and then take a step and a half to the basket with a lot of success.... now at your level, you have to think about the refs... will they call that a travel? 8th grade?

I still like the killer crossover and then split the D going all the way to the hole! At 5'6", you are a pretty big kid (for 13) so you should be strong enough to get all the way there. Are you pretty quick?

If you watched Derrick Rose you saw that he utilizes all of the court... meaning he can take it to the hole, shoot the three ball and shoot from where a lot of people don't shoot any more... the mid range jumper.... THAT makes him a heck of a lot TOUGHER to GUARD. Think about that... as they are trying to defend you..... is he going to shoot the three - take it to the hole - or is his favorite shot the mid range J?

As a coach I look at a kid we are going to play and say = "what are his strengths?" "What do I have to take away from him in order to beat that team?"

I always say... I am going to pick my poison... meaning, what am I going to allow in order to give me the best chance for the W! So, make yoiurself a good all around player ...... and don't forget about the defensive end. :-) GOOD LUCK I HOPE THIS HELPS.... Anything else?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 07:47 

Talking about that middle game -

The 'middle game' covers 60% of the shooting area!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 16:57 

As usual, I have a different point of view.

Often times, things that happen in a game are not skill based, they are perception based. You're 13-years old and you have not played a lot of basketball. Perception is the way you see the game, based on past experience and allows you to interpret the things that you can see happening around you. Relax and just play more.

There is a mentality that I teach that has helped most of the players I have worked with. For me, your triple threat position options are shot, shot, shot. That should fit your game. You say you are a great shooter, anytime you are not thinking about your shot, you are hurting your game. More than that, when you catch and think shot, you can see everything that is happening in the game. Your perceptions will become much clearer for you.

Next, when you put the ball on the floor, the only thing you should be thinking is "layup." For the same reason, if you have the ball on the floor thinking "layup" your perceptions will become much clearer.

By thinking shot on the catch and layup on the dribble will make you more aggressive and the game will slow down for you. Once that happens, you will see what opportunities there are and make good decisions.

It is hard to finish if you can't get to the rim. Don't concern yourself with finish moves, those are ability based and if you have the ability to finish, they will show up on their own. Everything else is window dressing.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 21:56 

You ALWAYS come up with some good thoughts Don ......

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2010, 19:43 

CC -

I don't know if you can get any of the Bulls games but if you watch Derrick Rose, the guy has no concience -- he has become a GREAT shooter and like I was saying, he uses the entire court.

AND, as Coach Don pointed out.... you should have that same confidence in your shooting abilities... heck - YOU told me you were a great shooter.... so go out there and shoot it when you have the shot... don't force it ... just take good shots. What I am suggesting is that you work on every part of your shooting aresenal...... from 3s to mid range jumpers and drives to the basket.

Check D Rose out some more and let me know what you think. I know there are some great players in the NBA but D R has been on fire lately.... so he might be someone you want to check out.

Are you in high school or middle school right now?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 15:35 

Hey guys, thanks for the advice! This is ALOT more than what i was looking for.
@Coach Don, thanks, i havent really thought about perceptions like that.

@Coach Sar, yes im quick, most probably the fastest one on my team.. and yes, i've been watching Rose (hes on my fantasy basketball team! hahaha). Im in middle school now, we actually had our first school team game today (i scored 12 points, all off jumpers and foul shots :/)