All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 12:21 

My shooting sometimes can be difficult and i cant make my shots most times and i cant figure why. my brother is amazing at basketball and he dont know how to train me i just learn on my on. is there any way to improve my shot percentage?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 12:25 

First of all, how old are you? Where are you shooting the ball from? Have you checked any of the sites regarding "shooting the ball" ??

Do you understand about shooting form ? Lots of questions but I need a a little background so I can give you an educated answer.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 16:49 

I don't know your age, your shot, your game or anything about you so I will stay away from technical stuff (which I don't think is important anyway) and give you some things that I think are applicable to all players.

First, if you are worried about missing shots, you'll never be a good shooter. If you don't want to miss shots, don't shoot any. You have to understand that as long you shoot the ball, you will miss shots. When you miss, you just have to say, "big deal," and move on (you should say that on makes, as well).

Next, don't change your shot when you miss. I don't buy much into elbow, wrist, etc. There are all sort of good shooters who use all sorts of different forms. Find something that is comfortable. The important things are these, shooting is rhythm, repeatability and confidence. Do the same thing every time, in the same rhythm with the same release point and understand you are going to miss shots (which allows you to take the next shot) and eventually the ball will go in. It is hard enough to be good with one shot. If you miss 3 shots and change each time, you have 3 shots. How hard will it be to be good at those?

Lastly, practice. It takes a lot of practice to achieve the two above objectives. A LOT of practice. It comes down to how good do you want to be. When I work with pros in the summer, we try for 400-600 shots per workout just to MAINTAIN what they have. To improve we look for 1000. The more you practice the better you will be, there is just no substitute for that and no way around it. If you want to be a good shooter, play less, practice more.

When yo do play, take your shots in your rhythm. If the go in, fine, if not, "Big Deal," if they are blocked, "Who Cares?" Good defenders will try to upset your rhythm and get you to change your shot. If you can't make your shot, how will you make his?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 21:20 

I for one do believe in the right form.... (but thats why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream) but I do agree about practice...... perfect practice. We taught everyone the same way... and IF kids came in with a weird shot that was going in... I NEVER touched their shots - if it aint broke, don't fix it. JMO

But we taught young kids during the summer and if they were strong enough to shoot at the 10' basket things went well... for the smaller kids that weren't strong enough, we kept closer to the rim and they had some success.

I had kids that shot 1,000 free throws every day in the summer... they were excellent shooters - and they shot the same way every time with good form.
And you are right - they didn't worry about makes or misses... they just shot it.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 08:32 

1) Good form and follow thru
2) Confidence
3) Repetition and Consistency

Set up a video camera or have a friend or parent record a 100 of your shots. Tape your shots from front, back and left and right of you. Watch the video after.
Check out your form, is elbow in, feet squared, balanced, good ball rotation, bending knees, are you holding your follow thru until it hits? Is your arm extension after release 60 to 75 degrees?(looking from the side).
Is your form consistent everytime regardless of whether you make it or not?

Chart all your charts. Try to find a friend or parent to chart your shots. Where on the floor are they taken? Make? Miss? If miss, were you short, long, left or right?

BE CONFIDENT!!!
All good shooters have confidence. Believe in yourself. Negative thoughts have such an adverse effect on your shooting performance.

As the coaches stated....you must put the time into shooting. Repetiton. 100's and 100's shots a day!!! Start each shooting work out with one-handed "form shooting". 2 feet away, put your non-shooting hand behind your back. This drill is done slowly, ensuring everything is lined up, focusing on your form, ball rotation and follow-thru. Shoot from right and left side using backboard, then straight on with no backback. Shoot about 20 shots from each location.
Once you continue making these shots, building confidence, step back a few feet, bring in your balance hand and continue shooting.

OK.....

Now get out there at shoot!!!!

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!

Good Luck,

Coach A