All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 23:41 

Hey im sixteen and have an above average shot but the one thing ive realized is that i go to far behind my head sometimes even hitting it!!This causes my elbow to stick out of my shot pocket making me change my follow through.i know what i want to change but when i practice i always go back to my same bad habits.How can i change that so i can break them and once i do how can i start branching out farther away from the goal.Also if you could estimate how long changing my shot is going to take because in sept varsity starts and if its a good idea. thank you very much

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 11:37 

You have to break down your form and make sure its correct. I would start by shooting with one hand against a wall... - that way you wont worry about making shots.... take one dribble, bring the ball up and go into your shot..... ONE HAND ONLY. This will help you keep the ball in the proper position.....

As you bring the ball up - take it up so your elbow is just above your shooting eye ....and your forearm straight up.... thats where the ball should be.

Now do that and shoot the ball off the wall, still using one hand..... keep doing that until you have your form corrected.

Then you can go to the basket - go from one block, to the middle and then the other block.... doing the same thing... one handed - work on perfect form. After doing that you can add your guide hand and do the same thing. Once you feel comfortable with that.. start moving back further repeating the process.

Thats the best I can do without seeing your shot...... but I would add this... we had some players that could really shoot the ball and had TERRIBLE FORM.... I didn't try to change them.... so this is up to you. IF your shooting percentage is good, why mess with it? Talk to your head coach and ask him his opinion. JMO

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 11:55 

Thank you very much for your advice ,i asked this question last night and already i had a reply the next day. I just have one follow up question if thats ok , how long in your estimation would it take to get comfortable with the new changes if i put in solid hrs 5 days a week till the end of the summer

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 12:06 

A bad habit is harder to break than to create a good one, so be patient with yourself.

The first step is to create a new form for yourself.... and I don't think that it would take you very long to do that against a wall - same goes for the block to block shooting... as you start to go further out and your comfort zone is challenged, it will become more difficult and then you MIGHT resort back to your old habits. When that happens.... go back to square one and start over again.

This also might happen in games when things get tough, so you have to become very comfortable with your new form. IF you are going to spend that much time working on your changes..... I would think that when school starts you will have a good handle on this.

Work on it for 2 days and let us know how things are going.... and tell us what your shot is like then. Good luck.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 12:12 

thank you very much i sure will