All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 14:18 

I am 16 year old. I have a really good ball handle, good mid range, good jump shots, and defense. But the problem is, when every time I practice on my FT, my shooting always hits the front of the rim or airball. My shooting form is fine but when I am standing and ready to set my shot, I feel like i have to push the ball. I will be playing my 2nd year as Jr Varsity. My first year, my position was Shooting guard, averaged 4 points per game, 3 rbs, 2 assists. So I have practiced so much on my shooting and ball handling this summer. My coach told me that if I push myself to good kind of work, good things will happen. My coach even wants me to be in PG position because the former PG was transferred to Varsity. So, I still do want to improve my FT shooting. P.S. I have practiced over 100+ everyday on my FT. Most of the shots were hit the rim. I did analyze all the shots i charted, comparing them day to day. I have improved only at 2%. My Percentage in FT is 39% so far. Sorry if I talked a lot, but I really want to improve, NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES, As long IT CAN HELP ME MAKE MY SHOT easier. Thank you.\r\n PG,SG 5\'5\", Sag Smith ****Thank you!!!****\r\n

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 14:48 

The first thing I will ask you is... HOW is your form? Do you do some form shooting before you start your workouts? IF not, then you need to do this.

It sounds like your shot is very flat and without being able to see it, I would say that your shot is flat..... and its either in your release point or you aren't using you legs.

So, try to describe your shot to us... and then we can give you some solid advice.

1- As you release the ball your elbow on your shooting hand should be just above your eye giving you a window to see through.......
2- You need to bend your knees and as you come up, end up on your toes as you shoot the ball and follow through.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 15:20 
Site Admin

Yeah, if there's any way you can upload video you shooting free throws that would make it much easier to give you advice. If you have a little flip recorder or something and upload to youtube that would help.

It sounds like you need to make serious changed to your mechanics. Practicing with bad form every day won't help. What is your shooting percentage for a normal game shot?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 11:45 

I don't have any video camera but i can desbribe it...
My shooting in a game % is 63% But practicing during FT makes a lot of air ball and hits the back rim.
When I am ready to shoot. I stand with my feet, my right foot near the foul line and while my left foot is about 2 inches away from the line.
I bent my knee about 45 degree. My shooting form is almost like an "L" is a little over 90 degree. When I am about to shoot, I start at my belly then bringing my knees and shooting arm up at the same time.The ball goes about 1 inches from my forehead. Then flicking the basketball with my arm straight. Yes I do let go of my guide hand off before my shooting hand goes. That's how i shoot.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 13:18 

Lets see if I have this right - you bring the ball up and are releasing it one inch above your forhead? Correct?

Thats why your shot is flat or air balling it. The elbow on your shooting hand should be just above your eye as you go to release it. Try using your shooting hand only and work on the form.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 20:30 

Yes, thats right. I wonder what do you mean by flat? I'm bit confused that how shooting makes my FT flat?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 20:41 

If you are releasing the ball 1 inch above your forehead and your hand is going straight out to the basket..... your shot will be flat... unless I am not imagining this correctly. Your ELBOW needss to be above your eye on the release of the ball so you have the proper arc on your shot.

Bend your knees and as you come up, end up on your toes as you follow thru. I wish we could see your shot... this would be a lot easier to help you.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 02:20 

Hey! Thanks, you makes it more sense, my shooting is flat because my elbow is about my nose level! THANKS! Now I'll practice with my elbow above my eyes level. Again. Thank you!!!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 10:03 

Let us know how that goes.... and good luck.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 07:15 

saydud,

Coach Sar is correct, sounds like you have a "flat" shot, no arc. You probably have a good arc on your regular shots because you are bending your knees more prior to the release and you are jumping which gives you power and elevation which gives the ball a nice arc.

With free throws, you are NOT jumping. Which takes away from your power and high release so you need to make up for that lack of leg power by bending knees and "finishing high".
Finishing high means what Coach Sar says...elbow above eyes....I tell my players, "elbow to ear"....same difference.
From the side view of your FT shot, your arm extension angle should be 60 to 75 degrees from horizontal. If your extension angle is less then you will have a flat shot and it will hit the front rim.

Remember to bend those knees and finish on your tippy-toes.

Good Luck son!!

Coach A